15

One Misty Midnight
-•-•-
"It's so cold tonight,"
She mumbles.
The pads of her thin fingers,
softly running along
the closed window seals of her room
"It's misty too,"
She observes.
A small smile settles on her lips
She sighs
"Oh what a wonderful night
to be utterly alone
Just like the moonless dark sky."

Nine weeks later.
One exciting morning
The Bloomington Publishing Inc.

There is something in the air today. A strange sort of electricity that seems to have charged the entire office. It has been here since the morning, as soon as I had taken a step in, I had felt it. My stomach had fluttered, and my skin strangely buzzed under the charged up atmosphere.

Everyone else seems different too. The heavy silence that carried through every corner of the office under the watchful eyes of Alicia, seems to be completely gone. Instead, now I sit here and witness the unguarded conversations and laughter all around me.

I suppose it has something to do with the new Chief Editor, who I have still not had the opportunity to meet. I frown. Wasn't last week his first official week in the office after being appointed? I look around the loud and happy room once again and tilt my head in curiosity. Maybe this new energy around the room because of the new boss.

Nodding, I turn back to the manuscript before me with a satisfied mind. This explanation definitely makes sense.

"Hey, Gemma?"

At the sound of the soft voice speaking my name, my head snaps up and I smile when my eyes find Jennie's. Jennie Dsena, two years my senior in the company, has always been a great colleague ever since I first joined. She had been out of office for the past couple of months on maternity leave for her first child and had just come back to work today.

"Yeah?" I whisper back, imitating her tone as I pull my chair closer to her. I suppose she's also feeling awkward about the change in the atmosphere around here.

"I've been meaning to ask you..." The woman's eyes sparkle with excitement and I find myself getting nervous. It never great when Jennie's excited. It means lots of rule-breaking ideas or lots of blushing. Jennie can be quite shameless. I wonder which one it is today.

"Have you seen the chief editor yet?!" The question comes out a little louder than both I and she had expected, and instantly the entire office quietens down. I can feel it as my entire face turns red, my eyes now twice its normal size while I stare at the still excited and slightly guilty looking woman beside me. I don't even want to look at all the people silently waiting for my reply. It's weird, why are they even so interested in my answer?

"No, I haven't, why?" I ask Jennie instead of only answering her. In the back of my mind I know why she's asking me, the editor is probably hot.

"He's so hot!" Jennie whispers this time around and I sense a couple of heads nodding in agreement around us.

"True," Sean agrees, nodding his head from the cubical in front of me.

"Yeah, he's really good looking — and single!" Wendina whispers as loudly she can without being obvious.

"Back off ladies! He's mine!" Tuliana huffs as she struts over in her high heels. Turning towards her I smile, noticing the widening of her bright blue eyes immediately.

"Is he that hot?" I ask her curiously. Knowing Tully and from her habit of heavily publicising her past relationships, we all know she's always dated models or people who could be models. Her standards are higher than my paychecks.