03

One Starry Night
-•-•-
She stares at the sky
Pitch black over the city lights
She smiles,
"Somewhere there is a place where it's starry tonight."

"Are you sure you want to see this movie?" My best friend, Saara, turns to me with an eyebrow cocked up.

I grin, "Scared to see fish-man and human girl sex, Poofy?"

"Shut up, okay?" The tiny girl hmmphs as she holds onto the bag of chips and I tighten my fingers around our bottle of water.

"I'm not scared of that! We survived that BDSM one, didn't we?" She continues, this time however her voice is a hushed whisper. I, on the other hand, can't help the snort of laughter that leaves my mouth, "Right! That was such a disappointment."

"Let's just hope this has a happy ending," Saara whispers as the people beside us in the waiting lobby begin to glance at us.

"What the hell are these folks staring at us for? Watch the loud trailer playing on that wall instead man!"

"Sssh, we'll get told off very soon," I chuckle along with her, my bright eyes glancing around the crowd of people casually.

I stop.

My breath hitches in my throat and I grip the bottle of water in my hand tighter.

Across the lobby I see him seated on one of the sofas in the corner.

His eyes are settled on the screen in front, a small smile is spread across his face. For a second I almost get up on my feet and acknowledge him —ask where Isaac is. Then I stop.

If he wanted to, he would have contacted me but he didn't. Maybe he wants to ignore that embarrassing afternoon where his son called an unknown woman 'mummy'.

My decision proves to be correct because only a second later a woman appears from beside him, giggling as she continues talking to him. My eyes snap to the man's face again and I watch his small smile widen up a fraction.

"Gemma?"

"Huh?" I blink, realising I've completely ignored my best friend because of this sudden surprise.

I blink again, turning towards Saara, "Sorry, Poofy. See that man there?" I motion her towards the man and watch as her eyes widen. She speaks before I can continue.

"Wow, he's hot! Is he Asian? What race is he?"

I sigh, "Does that matter? I don't know what he is. But remember I told you about a kid calling me his mum?"

I see her eyes widen into two saucer-like circles, "Let me guess, that's the dad?"

I nod, pursing my lips in nervousness as I wait for her reaction.

"Damn, guess the kid had a mum after all."

"I know right," I smile this time, thinking of how happy Isaac must be when his real mum finally got there, "I can't believe I actually thought she was dead or something. Guess she really was lost. No wonder the man didn't call me when I had offered him to."

"PenPen, you sure you don't have a crush on him?"

I blink again. What the hell?

"Where did that come from? Of course not. He's married."

This time Saara scoffs, and I felt my face heat under her knowing eyes.

"You didn't know that when you met him! And I see that look you get every time it rains. But right, keep on lying to yourself, woman,"