14

One Frank Day
-•-•-
The gentle breeze blows lovingly
The world is blue right now
The golden sun hasn't arrived yet
Morning has barely begun

A silent girl
she sits in her garden
Her white dress flaring
on the green carpet made of grass
Her fingers twirl
around the hems of her dress
A sigh leaves
her worried heart

"What is it about him that draws me so near?"
"What is about him that makes me care?"
"Is it him or is it I? Should I leave before my heart, he steals?"

The girl whispers
to the white Gardenias before her.

The amused Gardenias —
they smile to each other before turning to her,

"What is it about him that draws you near?
Oh why, his heart, my dear,"

"What is about him that makes you care?
Sweet child, it's love, don't fear,"

"Is him or is it you?
It's a bit of both, don't fret you,"

"Should you leave before your heart he steals?
You cannot steal what is freely given, now please wipe away those tears."

The world is blue right now. In this moment just before the darkness and light meet once again, and the light wins over. The period before dawn, it's blue today.

I take a sip of my warm chocolate as I stand outside, on my back patio. A shawl wrapped around me while I watch my foggy garden slowly fill up with light. The sun is slowly beginning to rise and I wonder if the little boy in my room will get frightened not seeing me in bed like he usually does, or if my cousin will wake up after one today like she usually does.

I close my eyes and take in a deep breath. The air is so much clearer today, the breezy fragrance of the flowers in my garden touches my senses every time I take a breath and I realise once again how much I love this moment. Just being able to be pure, and raw with my own self. Amongst these beautiful flowers. The nature.

Then I turn around and walk back into my home, remembering to slide the patio to a close since Isaac feels cold really easily, and so does Saara. I remind myself softly that I'm not the only one here anymore.

As I move towards my kitchen and pull out ingredients to cook everyone breakfast, I wonder if August will come around today. I wonder what I will tell him when Isaac acknowledges me as 'mummy'... how I will explain. I wonder if he will even require an explanation, then I smile... knowing him I'm sure he will. People are generally quite curious creatures. He is too.

As I pull out some rolled oats I glance towards the mess I've made on my sofa. The latest manuscript I'm working on lies on the sofa with my dictionary, markers, pen, and laptop. I hope Isaac won't go about scribbling on it when he wakes up. I remind myself to let him know not to. I also remind myself my deadline is in another three weeks.

The house inside is warmer so I pull off my shawl until I'm left with the simple thin strapped knee-length white dress I had decided to wear after waking up and bathing today. I've loved this dress for a while now. I've had it since my sixteenth birthday when my grandma Merilyn gifted it to me. She told me I looked so pure and innocent every time I wore it. Like an angel. Especially when I had my hair down. This was one of the last things I have gotten from my grandma. She passed away fifteen days after my birthday.