06

One Risky Evening
-•-•-
"It is not rational. There is a high chance of failure," her brain states confidently.
"But it will make you truly happy while it lasts,"
her heart's soft whisper echoes around her.

She turns towards the fading footfalls.

"Remember, only while it lasts. Why risk it? You're safe right now," her brain scoffs.
"You can't always find true happiness by keeping yourself safe. Why not risk it?" her heart smiles at her encouragingly.

"You will hurt in the end," her brain warns her.
"But you will never wonder 'what if'," her heart encourages.

She begins to run.

"Gemma," I introduce myself, "Gemma Windly."

"Gemma," William repeats my name and I just stare at him, liking how my name rolls off of his lips.

As if approving how my name sounds on his tongue, he nods, then suddenly begins looking uncomfortable again.

I frown, my mind immediately flutters to little Isaac, "Is everything alright, Mr. Noo?"

"William, please," he replies plainly. I realize that his accent is not quite Canadian-like but a bit more like the Australian accent mixed with a Canadian accent. It makes me more curious about this man whom I've found myself wondering about at odd times of the day during the past month. This is not good though. Definitely not good. He's married. This curiosity can lead me no where happy.

"Actually I wanted to thank you for that afternoon. Isaac was very happy... until we went home and he realised you weren't coming."

... what?

"I'm sorry? What about his mum? Aren't you married?" I blurt out tactlessly. I really am confused. Didn't I see him and his wife at the theatre?

William stiffens under my questions for a few seconds before he seems to collect his wits again and hastily clears his throat, "Should we find a coffee shop?"

This confuses me even more. Why exactly does he want to go to a coffee shop with me? What could he want from me after a month? Is something really wrong with Isaac?

I nod, holding my bag tighter against me, "Sure. Let's find a coffee shop."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Thank you for agreeing to talk to me, Gemma," William speaks simply as he tucks my chair in, and then walking around the small, round table, settles on his own, right across me.

The coffee shop we find is a quaint, beautifully decorated little cafe situated just five minutes walk away from the publishing company. I'm a little surprised, despite thinking that I know these streets fairly well, I had no clue of this shop's existence.

"It's no problem, really," I shake my head, feeling my face heat under William's gaze, "I am a bit confused though."

"Hello! What would you two like to drink?"

My head turns towards the server and I smile at the pretty girl when I see her looking at me. Her light hair creates a halo under the chandelier we have overheads, I smile when I notice her smile carrying a hint of amused warmth.

"A cup of hot chocolate, please," I reply, before turning towards William.

"Americano, thank you," he tells the server. His eyes, however, remain on mine.