18

One Magical Midnight
-•-•-
Yes
The round white moon,
glistens over her head
joined by a million stars
Above her, they shine
Hoping their light
can help her guide herself back
to where he is

"Trust me," he whispers again, and this time I feel his warm breath on my mouth, "Okay?"

I shudder, my fingers clutching the materials of my clothes. I feel a blush rush through my cheeks when I feel his fingers unclench my fingers and slowly hook our fingers together.

I feel like I'm dreaming. Standing here, out in the night, smelling the clean night air — my eyes closed — I can almost convince myself I'm dreaming. Yes, I'm probably dreaming. I've never even allowed myself to dream of this happening.

I've never let myself have even an ounce of hope. An ounce of expectation. And now... here I am. Under the moonlight, with his slender fingers between mine.

"Okay," I breath, feeling myself shivering but not from the night breeze.

"Don't...move," William's soft mumble echoes in the air around me and I nod, not trusting myself to say anything right now.

It feels like forever as we continue to stand here, just standing here with our hands intertwined. A bubble of happiness floats into my chest and I smile without giving it much a thought. We're holding hands because we want to. Not because we have someone to show. We're holding hands because we want to.

Suddenly, his soft lips pressed against mine and I find my entire world illuminate in silver and gold.

The night suddenly seems nicer, the moon a little brighter, my skin feels like it's buzzing with electricity everywhere, and I find myself falling against him, suddenly possessing jelly feet.

I feel as he smiles against my lips. He doesn't move his lips. He just keeps it there, the pressure of his lips against mine a sweet reassurance and affection instead of sensual need. My reaction clearly amuses him, and as if he was expecting my reaction, one of his hand immediately braces my face and the other finds itself around my waist.

I'm pulled against his chest and I welcome the closeness. I am putty in his arms when he slowly breaks the kiss and then softly presses his lips against my cheek. This time I can't help but smile. I'm happy. I'm so happy. He likes me. William likes me. Now I can like him too. I can openly like him too.

I haven't felt this sort of happiness in a while. This sort of peace hasn't visited me in years. The feeling of reassurance. The tiny voice in my head screaming 'You didn't make a mistake that evening' happily. I am so happy.

I open my eyes, my brown pools glazed over with mirth and joy, and immediately I'm looking into his deep brown eyes smiling down at me.

"William," I breathe, not knowing what else to say as we stand there looking into each other's eyes.

"It's just you," he replies. His eyes suddenly serious. He wants me to see he means it. I do.

"Really?" I ask, cringing when I realise I'm saying it out loud instead of inside my head.

Still, he replies, "Really."