01

One Rainy Afternoon
-•-•-
She rushes through the crowd, in the pouring rain.
She rushes soaking wet, closer to the scent of lilies.
Closer to his heart.

As I walk out of the front door, the light showers of rain continue to drizzle over the healthy green and prettily blossomed foliage that surrounds my plain white home. The flowers I've spent hours nursing almost every weekend since I've inherited this home from a distant aunt are luckily all in bloom at the same time, and every inch of the garden is looking well-groomed.

I smile. The corner of my eyes crinkles with pleasure as I glance around my front yard while standing at the edge of my front porch, opening my bright yellow umbrella. The yellow material expands as I push the umbrella open and I quickly pull it over me. It doesn't help to keep out much of the rain, but it's convenient.

Quickly, without delay, I step out onto the driveway and begin rushing towards the front gate.

The quicker I get to the bus stop the better. I really need to hand over the hard copy manuscripts I've just completed proofreading and editing last night. Thankfully I have almost four hours until the deadline.

"Where are you rushing off to, Gemma?!" Mrs. Red yells as I slide the gate to a close and lock it as quickly as I can. Turning around I smile at the old woman, my small feet hurriedly shuffling along the sidewalk. Her blatant need to pry doesn't surprise me — as much as it used to — anymore. I've just come to accept that with age comes the need to satisfy one's curiosity about one's family members, neighbours, and everyone else's personal lives.

"Going to submit these manuscripts, Magenta! See you around!!" I yell back, putting my hand up in a quick wave as I almost fly past her house. I'm only 3 blocks away from the bus stop now and I can almost see the bus driving its way towards the stop quicker than my two tiny feet can carry me.

Magenta Red.

I have always thought that it is a beautiful name — if not particularly hilarious in its unity. Sometimes though, I couldn't help but wonder if Mrs. Red's parents had ever thought that their daughter would go on and marry a man with a surname as Red, when they named her Magenta. I could only laugh thinking about her parent's reactions when they first heard of their daughter's new surname.

"Oh no!" I gasp as I feel my feet step into a puddle. Looking down I frown as I noticed that my black Oxford shoes are completely soaked. Sadly, I do not have the tiniest bit of time to stop. So, instead, I push forward until I'm at the bus stop and then quickly begin shaking off the leg that had stepped into the puddle.

My eyes meet a stranger woman's and I instantly smile, embarrassed at being caught in this situation.

"Even such a beautiful day like this has its disadvantages, doesn't it?" She speaks quite clearly. Her tone is brisk but I can hear a hint of humour. I nod back sheepishly.

"You're right. it's such a shame,"

Soon enough the bus reaches the stop and after letting the current passengers get off, I join in the line for getting in.

Stepping on the bus, my eyes look at the empty seats as I assess the best spot to sit. It doesn't take too long to realise that my usual seat empty, and I quickly make a bee-line towards it. Grinning happily as I settle myself into the seat and place my bag on my lap.

The rain outside splashes against the bus' window. The bus begins to move, and I smile as I try to see through the foggy glass out into the world outside. The usual feeling of content settles into my chest as I pull my jacket closer to my neck and place on my earplugs, tapping play on my usual playlist.