05

One Quiet Night
-•-•-
Eyes closed she listens as the strong winds outside continue to sing
"It's quiet tonight," she thinks.
The winds outside sing louder.

"How did it go with Dante?"

It's past 12 AM, but Saara and I are both wide awake. August ended up leaving around 11 and we've been in bed ever since, just talking.

"It's a very quiet night tonight, isn't it?" Saara says instead. I turn my head towards her in bed. I know I can't see anything in this darkness so I turn until my back is pressed against the mattress, and close my eyes.

"It's not quiet when we're actually talking. You don't want to talk about it?" I ask softly. I know Dante is a soft topic for Saara right now so I don't want to push her.

"How do you think it went, Pen?" Saara sighs, turning in the darkness as she speaks.

"It probably didn't work, huh?" I reply.

Dante's not one of the most sought-after lawyers in our city for nothing. I should have known that it would go this way. Actually, apart from moving in front of Saara's apartment, he hasn't done any other thing that can implicate him as a stalker. Dante's always been a very smart man after all.

"No," Saara groans, twisting again on her side of the bed, "He completely ignored everyone else and treated it like we were still dating. It's obviously hard for him to let go of the 7 years he's spent with me."

"What about Rob?" I ask instead of pushing the conversation to where Saara wants to take it to. To giving Dante another chance, "What's his status with Rob?"

I hear her sharp intake of breath and I purse my lips. This confirms it. She's been ignoring this aspect of the situation. She's completely ignoring Robert.

"I don't know," Saara admits and I nod. I'm sure Dante wouldn't be that much of an idiot to go around talking about him with Saara anymore.

"Well that's that then," I reply lamely. I don't know what else to say anymore.

"What do you think that little kid who mistook you for his mum must be doing right now?" Saara giggles suddenly, completely trying to change the topic. I find myself letting her.

"I'm sure he must be asleep," I smile, thinking of the small boy with big, sad, brown eyes.

"What about his dad?" Saara teases, and this time I'm the one taking in a sharp breath.

I can't help it. The man comes to my mind like a soft breeze. His dark eyes and his deep velvety voice.

"Probably with his wife,"

My voice is quiet. Too quiet. It's probably giving away too much, but in the darkness of the night, I let Saara see my real feelings.

"Do you really think that was his wife?" She asks, her voice is quiet too. Too quiet. When did this get so serious?

"You don't think that that's his wife?" I ask her instead of answering her. A question for a question.

"I don't know,"

I feel her attempt a shrug and I can't help but smile.

"Just go to sleep Poofy," I grin at my best-friend in the darkness.

"Alright, Mum,"

I hear the laughter in her voice and my grin widens.

"Night Poofy,"

"Night PenPen,"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••