Chapter 42

Chris and I were pretty fired up on the way to the rink. This was a big one, if we could knock off these plugs, we'd move into second place. That, and the scout was coming to watch me. I knew who he was, he recruited one of the captains last year when I was just a rookie. That could be me. My ticket out of here, and away from my dad for good.

I was passing the puck back and forth with Sean while some of the other guys were taking shots at the other goalie. Rolly had started for us the night before, and Sean's dad liked to rotate. "Is your mom here yet?" Sean asked quietly.

"No, and she's not my 'mom,' really," I said. "She's my mother, but not my mom."

"No, I get it," he agreed.

I looked around the stands again. Mel was sitting up at the top. She gave me a subtle nod. I nodded back. I felt better knowing she was there.

When the puck dropped at the start of the first, I was sitting on the bench. I looked around in the stands. I could see the scout. I whispered to Chris. I still hadn't seen my mother and Chan, but I'm sure they'd show. During a stop in play, I saw Mel deke down the stairs. Chan and my mother were here. I swallowed hard. I don't know why the hell I want to impress this woman who literally abandoned me, but I do.

Since we had last change, coach was able to watch the lines and throw us out there to fuck with the opposing team. They were in the middle of changing on the fly when someone left the puck wide open at centre ice.

"Monty!" Chris yelled as I scooped up the loose puck. I checked behind my shoulder to make sure he was right behind me. We had a two-on-one, I passed on my backhand and continued to the net.

"Mello!" I called back. Chris passed it back and I roofed it over the goalie's shoulder. It was one of the nicest goals I had ever scored. After a well-deserved celly, I glanced up at Chan, Mel, and my mother as I made my way to the bench to fist-bump my teammates. So weird. A whole bunch of females here, cheering for me, and they actually liked me. I wanted to laugh. Old Monty always had girls cheering for him, but not the good kind.

We won the game 5-3 with an empty-netter, I picked up another assist and Sean's dad had given me lots of time on the PK, which I thought was a good sign, he wanted to show off my two-way play. My stomach was flip-flopping as we sat in the room after the game.

"Monty, someone wants to see you," Coach called over the noise and excitement.

I stepped out of the dressing room to see the scout from Vernon. He had a leather portfolio and was wearing a fancy Vipers jacket.

"Matthew," he said. "I'm Mike, I'm a scout from the Vernon Vipers."

"Yes, nice to meet you," I said, holding out my hand.

"As I'm sure your coach has told you, we're interested in taking a better look at you if you can keep up how you've been playing."

"I'm very interested in being a part of the Vipers organization," I said. "I'm starting a new workout program tomorrow, is there anything you think I could work on before spring camp? I want to be in the best position to make an impact."

"You've got great fundamentals, I'd like to see you be more explosive, and a little more muscle – guys in the BCHL are a lot bigger than what you're used to playing against here."

"Okay, great, thank you. I'm grateful for the opportunity and I'm going to do my very best to try to make a good impression," I said. I wanted him to know I was smart and not just some duster idiot. The entire point of going to Junior A was to get a scholly. You could be a total dumbass and play in the Dub, but getting a scholly meant you had to be smart, too, and not just good at hockey.