Chapter 41

On Friday at lunch, I took a deep breath. "I need to tell you guys something," I told Chris and Sean.

"You're gay, knew it," said Sean laughing.

"Far from it, asshole," I said, throwing the wrapper from my burger at him. "No, this is serious."

"Is Chan pregnant?" Chris asked.

"What the hell? No ... you guys. Stop being dicks for 5 seconds, fuck. So, you guys know I met my mother last weekend. Um, she's coming, to the game tonight."

"Oh, shit," said Chris. "For real?"

"Yeah, she's coming tonight, with Chan. I'm worried, about playing in front of her, I mean."

"You killed it last night, don't worry about it," Sean said. We had won Thursday's game against some shit team from the Island, but tonight we were playing another Vancouver team, one of the top teams in the league. They had a few guys who had been drafted by Dub teams and they beat us last time we played them, so a lot of the guys really wanted to kick their ass this time.

"I just feel weird about it," I admitted.

"What did you tell her about Chan?"

"I didn't. Well, I told her that Chan's my girlfriend, but I didn't say anything about her being older, or the neighbour, or that I've been basically living with her."

"What if she asks?"

"I don't know, I hadn't really thought about it. I mean, I guess what can she even say? Oh, you're too young for her? Who is she to pass judgement on my life?" I didn't really want to talk about this with them, I just wanted them to know my mother was coming to the game.

"Do you think the scout's coming tonight?" Chris asked, changing the subject for me.

"God, I hope not," I said. "But I guess this is a big game, he's probably looking at a bunch of guys on the other team, too."

"The Vernon scout?" Sean asked. I felt kind of bad, I didn't think Sean was going to make Junior next year. He'd end up staying here, playing for his dad. Chris had a shot, maybe on one of the weaker teams, depending how many guys they lost. He was a bit more of a defensive type guy, maybe someone would have room for him on their fourth line? But Sean, I didn't see him making it to the BCHL.

"Yeah, I'm starting workouts with Carts on Saturday after work, I'm pumped."

I was jittery all afternoon. I texted Chan. "Can you call me on your break at work?"

"Sure – what's up?" she typed back.

"Just need to figure something out for tonight."

I was just getting ready to head back to Chris's when she called. I told him to go ahead and I'd meet him at home. We didn't have to leave quite so early tonight because we were playing at home. I still liked to get there early enough that I could do all my rituals before the game, but this wouldn't take too long.

"Hello, Matty," she said in her sweet voice. It made my heart beat faster – still.

"Hey Chan," I said. I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed for the door.

"What's up? Are we still on for tonight?"

"Yep. I spoke to Christina, she said you can pick her up at 7, that should be enough time to get to the rink from there."

"Okay, that sounds good."

"Um, so, there's something we should probably talk about ... I spoke to her for about 5 minutes last night before we went to hockey, and I just said you'd come pick her up. I still haven't told her ..."

"And you're worried she's going to ask," Chan said for me.

"Yeah, I mean, not that I give a fuck what she thinks and who is she to judge me, I just don't want her to be angry or upset with you."

"I won't bring it up. But I think if she asks, we should just be honest with her. I mean, it's not like we're actually doing anything wrong really. It's not ... orthodox, but we're both consenting and we love each other, that's the important part. And I'm not your teacher or something."

"Okay. Do you think she'll be mad?"

"I don't know. But even if she is, she has no right to be."

"Maybe I'm just paranoid because of how my dad acted at my birthday?"

"That's probably it. She seems like a nice enough person, I'm sure she'll be more understanding than your dad. Look, if it goes sideways, we'll deal with it then, but for now, just worry about your game, do good, play hard in front of the scouts. Want me to go talk you up to him?" she asked in a joking tone.

"What, and tell him you're my girlfriend? He probably wouldn't believe someone like you would be dating me," I replied with a laugh.

"You're probably right. Okay, I should get back to work – somebody needs to bring home the bacon around here."

"Okay. Love you, babe, see you tonight."

The cold wind was cutting my face as I walked up the sidewalk, when I heard a car honking at me. Mel. She had to reach over and physically roll down the window because it didn't have automatic ones. "It's freezing out here. Get in, idiot."

I closed the door. It smelled like leather and cigarettes. She had driving gloves and a hat with ear flaps on. Not sure where she gets this shit, the lost and found from some truck stop in Prince George or something? You'd never tell from looking at her the beautiful art she makes.

"I was coming to check on you, make sure you weren't dead," she said.

"Nah, not dead. I'm still staying at Chris's, so my dad hasn't had the chance to kill me yet. My shrink said Chan and I need some space from each other."

"He's not wrong," Mel replied, shrugging.

"Oh. So, I met my mother." I didn't mean to drop it like such a friggin bomb, but I didn't know how to bring it up.

"Your mother? I thought you didn't know your mother."

"I don't." I explained the visit on the weekend. And then. "She's coming tonight to our game."

"Oh," Mel replied. "That's kind of fast."

"Well, it was Chan's idea. But I think it'll be good. I mean, I like having people there to watch me play. Chan's picking her up and bringing her there." I told Mel where to turn to get to the Carmellos' house. "Will you come, too?"

"To your game?" Mel asked.

"Yeah, if you're not doing anything else, I mean. Chan wanted to know if you'd come."

"Alright. I think my friends were going to the Giants game tonight, I was looking for an excuse to get out of it – they're playing Regina, fuckin' boring, and their goalie is a douchebag."

Mel punched something into her phone. It buzzed a second later. She let out one loud laugh and then held it up so I could read it. It was from someone named Ashley. "You're skipping a Dub game to go watch some underage AAA kid? Fuckin' soft."

"Yeah, fuckin' softie," I said, laughing.

"Softer than baby shit," she agreed. "Alright, get out. Go eat your pasta and chicken." I laughed. Of course Mel knew that we all eat pasta and chicken before every game.