Chapter 20

When we got to the station, my dad told the desk sergeant that I wanted to make a statement. "A statement about what?" I asked, glaring at him.

"A vandalism," he said, and turned to leave the room. I rolled my eyes.

I debated what to do. I was afraid to even tell them what Sam did because I was worried what she would say to them if they questioned her. Then I remembered what Sean had said. Sam had NO proof. None. All Chan and I had to do was play dumb. And apparently she's seeing someone else, anyway, so whoever that guy is can vouch that he's with her, and that will be that.

I decided to tell the Sarge what Sam had done. My dad came back, uniform on.

"You're working today?"

"No, but we're going to get this cleared up," he said.

"What are you talking about?"

"Come on," he said. The desk sergeant had me sign my statement. He handed a copy to my dad. I followed dad outside to the squad car.

"Where does this girl live?" he asked me. I wasn't entirely sure, but I knew the street. He used the computer to find the address and we set off for Sam's house. The sun was up and I stared out the window, looking out at what would've been a nice fall day, if I weren't dead.

"Is this the same kid who was at our house?" my dad asked.

"Yes, I hate her," I said. I had no trouble admitting it. "She's awful. Scum of the earth."

"Well, she sure has Chantelle shaken. Although, it seemed a little strange to me that someone would be so upset about some shaving cream and eggs, it all came right off with the hose," dad said. I wondered if maybe they had erased the words on the windows before he had time to see them.

"She's a miserable bitch," I said, still staring out the window. "Can I get a restraining order against her?"

"Only if she's violent," he said.

We arrived at her house. "Come on," said my dad. I looked at him like he had lost his fucking mind.

"I'm not the cop, you are. If you want to arrest her, you'll have to go do it yourself," I said.

"This is your chance to say what you need to say to her," he said.

"Fine." I had plenty I wanted to say to that horrible bitch, but most of it was not fit to say in front of a parent.

Dad knocked on the door, her mother answered.

"Good morning officer, is there a problem?" Sam's mom asked. I stood there on the porch, feeling like an idiot.

"Is Samantha your daughter?" dad asked.

"Yes, is everything okay?"

"I need to speak with her," he said. He didn't give anything away.

"I think she's still asleep, but I'll go get her." Sam's mom disappeared inside the house. We stood on the screened-in porch. I felt sick, like I was going to puke everywhere.

"I don't know why the cops would want to talk to me, mom," I could hear Sam protesting inside. "I'm sure it's nothing."

When she approached the doorway, dressed in sweats and looking like a shitty, haggard mess, she took one look at my dad and all the colour drained from her face. She looked so different without her skin-tight clothes, caked-on makeup and hair extensions. She looked vulnerable. Ugly.

"Samantha?" said Dad.

"Hi, Mister Monteleone," she said, still shocked. I guess she figured I wouldn't involve my dad, since it could get Chan in trouble, but she also doesn't know that my dad didn't see the hot pink lettering.