Chapter 23

When I met Mel, I finally felt at ease. Being around Carts was kind of stressful, because I wanted so badly to make him proud and I didn't want to let him down. Plus, I felt really weird talking to him about Chan when he knew what I was doing and obviously didn't approve of it.

I wanted to get Mel's opinion since she was a blunt kind of person who wouldn't blow smoke up my ass. "I don't know, maybe I should just get it through my head that it was too good to be true and forget about it?"

"Listen man, put yourself in her shoes, she was in a shitty relationship with a guy who beat the crap out of her, she moved out here to get away from him and probably feels like garbage. She meets you, you dog her until you get her into bed and then drag her into your high school drama. Wouldn't you be pissed, if you were her?"

I hadn't really thought about it from that angle, but when Mel put it that way, yeah it sounded pretty damn shitty. "And," she added. "How do you think she feels that she's sleeping with a high school boy? Who is a lot younger than her? Maybe she feels like you're just using her as some fantasy or something?"

"Mel, how come you're so smart?" I asked.

"Because I've dealt with a lot of people's bullshit."

By Wednesday, Chan still hadn't come home. Well, maybe she had while I was at school, but I definitely hadn't seen any sign of her. That night after hockey, dad had gone back to work, taking an extra shift, so I snuck back over to Chan's house.

I lay on the couch, watched TV alone, imagining how she liked to lie on my chest. It seemed so real, melting into the leather, I could almost feel the weight of her head, the smell of her perfume. After I watched the highlights a second time, I went upstairs to the bedroom. I hadn't slept more than a few hours a night all week, I thought maybe I could actually get some rest if I crashed here. I'd make the bed in the morning and nobody needed to know.

I set the alarm on my phone for a little earlier so I'd have time to run home and shower before school, took off my jeans and got in on my side of the bed. I wished like hell she was there and hugged a pillow. For the first time in days, I cried. It started with silent tears and eventually become deep sobs. The Chan-shaped hole in my heart ached. This was more painful than when someone dies, when they die they're just not alive anymore, but she's alive and doesn't want me.

I must've fallen asleep. Or maybe I was dreaming. I felt something against me. I blinked my eyes open. In the darkness, I saw a shadow in bed beside me. I inhaled deeply, the smell of her hair filling my lungs. Before I could blink, I crushed her to me. I buried my face against the back of her neck, tears falling against her skin. She turned to face me, our faces only inches apart. "Don't cry, Matty," she whispered, wiping tears from my eyes.

"I thought you were gone," I whispered back, closing my eyes.

"I'm here," she said, squeezing my hand. She kissed my face and stroked my hair. I cuddled up to her. "I'm here now, I'm here, my boy."

"Don't go again," I begged. I felt stupid, but I couldn't take another day feeling like it felt when she was gone.

"I had to, I needed some time, I'm sorry," she said.

I kissed her. Hard. She was grabbing at me, hands up the back of my shirt, nails digging into my skin as I pressed against her, my cock was hard against the warmth of her pyjamas. I kissed her throat and neck, she arched her spine, pressing against my chest. She hurried to take off my boxers, I was trying to get her tank top off. Everything was in the way and we couldn't get out of it fast enough. She grabbed my cock and I growled in anticipation. I kissed my way down her body and licked her sweet pussy to make sure it was ready ... she was more than ready. On my hands and knees, I hovered above her.