34. The sickness

(Ruth’s POV)

When can I go home?

Two days has gone since the accident and I’m still in the hospital. One thing I found out yesterday was that they have limited equipment here in this hospital. So even to get an x-ray I have to stay till my chance comes. The nurse said they have long queues for every possible test. On top of all, my condition got worse by night. So I’m stuck here for another day.

Zoe and the guys came yesterday and filled me with the details I missed in the field. In the evening some of my students visited me with a lovely card. They said Miss Zoe helped them with the spellings. It was sweet. All their genuine feelings have poured into it and I’m proud of them.

Still the doctor didn’t come to check on me. I’m curious to know about my sickness. I never have been in a hospital this long. But I can tell you one thing. It’s boring as hell. Zoe brought my laptop so at least I can edit my photos and check my mails.  John sent me a letter asking about my situation and Zoe sent me the pics she got. She took over my job temporary. Her shots are amazing. What I have to do is to pick the perfect ones.

‘Hello Ruth.’

‘Hello doctor.’ I closed my laptop and adjust myself a little.

‘How’s your breathing? Can you manage it without the mask?’ They removed it today morning and that was a huge relief.

‘I’m doing good doctor but sometimes my chest hurts a little.’

‘Okey. Don’t worry about that. It will ease.’ He then starts checking my pulses. It’s time to ask the question.

‘Doctor, what’s wrong with my chest?’ He scribbled down something on the pad and while removing the stethoscope he smiled at me.

‘We found something in your lungs through yesterday’s x-ray. It’s a small blood clot. The medicine we are giving you will flush that off.’ He smiled again. What’s with his smile? Okey I know he’s young but this smile hides something. I’m sure about that.

‘So… that means I can go back to work?’

‘Hmm… I can say yes but…’ Why did he stop?

‘The thing is Ruth, we found something else on your x-ray.’ Go on doctor, you are making me nervous.

‘There’s a small tumor in your lungs but we can’t figure it out further with these equipment.’

‘What do you mean by a tumor doctor, can you operate it? What is it?’ It’s like a panic attack. How can I have a tumor? In my lungs?

‘Now Ruth calm down. It’s not good for your heart or your current condition.’ So I tried my best to calm down but how can I?

‘Your friend told me about your job. You’re a photographer aren’t you?’ I nodded.

‘You can go back. But you have to bed rest. At least a month.  And your lungs require fresh air. So you have to move from slums.’

‘But what if I had to and want to stay?’ I’m trying to save my job at no cost.

‘I’m afraid you won’t be able to work for the rest of your life then.’

I’m shocked.

‘Is… is it curable? I’ve heard about surgeries and stuff when I was at my office. There were people who report these stuff.

‘As I told you before, we cannot recognize it properly. I have to send you for another hospital with better technology. But you have to travel for hours which is not good for your health in the moment.’