Chapter 12

The door was heavy, she lifted it, and let it fall, sending an echo through the house.

No answer

She tried the handle and much to her surprise it opened to reveal the man she left on prom night(Toby hallway).

She freezes. The surprise came along with it.

"What are you doing in my house and where is my daughter?" Emma was shocked by the scattered house, broken glasses, and destroyed painting that Ezra gave to her.

"Looks like you taught her well Emma. She is kind of rude so I locked her in." Toby replied as he moved closer to her.

"Locked her in? She is only three... What do you want?" She asked again.

"She is too smart to be three and I want you." The answer she was avoiding for weeks came out in a second.

"I can't be with you Toby, we talked about this. I am in love with someone else."

"Ezra, The person you lied to about Zoe?"

"Please don't ruin things for me. I am begging you."
She felt guilt; she wanted to tell Ezra everything that was going on from the very beginning. She wanted to confess and see him get angry at her. She deserves it.

"If you won't be with me then you can't be with Ezra."

"What are you yemming about? I choose who I wanna be with."

"OK, looks like Ezra has to learn the truth."

"What will you gain from all this... I thought you are already mature but it looks like you are crazy."

"Yeah, I am crazy about you and that is why Ezra is gonna believe me when I tell him about Zoe." He took a handkerchief to clean her mascara (tears) that were dripping down her cheeks and walked out.

Emma ran inside her room and saw Zoe who was tied everywhere including her mouth. She untied the ropes and hugged her.

"You are not gonna leave me, right mom? Are you?"

"What do you mean by that?" Emma was curious.

"That uncle said dad is not my dad... And you are not my..." She stammered as Tears dropped from her eyes.

"That's not true sweetie I am your mother"

"What about dad?"

"He is your...... father." Zoe could tell she was lying.

"Mom I know you are lying," Zoe said.

"What makes you think that?"

"Cause every time you lie about something, you always bite your lower lips very hard."

"You got me there... Zoe, I won't leave you to someone else."

"What about my husband?" Zoe laughed.

"Wha....t" Emma was surprised to hear that from a three-year-old girl. She realized Zoe was too smart to be three.

"Just kidding mom... Even if I am rude and sassy and mean you won't give me away right?" She placed her hand on Emma's cheeks.

"I swear I won't give you away... You are already part of my life, you are my world Zoella and I promise I won't give you away." She Imitated.

"I love you, mom." Emma's eyes widen as she heard Zoe say those words

"What did you say?" pretending as if she didn't hear a thing.

"I said I am hungry."

"No, you said you love me... Say it again... Are you sure you love me?"

"Of cause and I am not gonna say that again."

"Why?"

"They said good things are not meant to be said twice."

"Looks like you are reading your books."

"I saw it on TV before that uncle came."

"Let's go eat your favorite."

"Oat"

"Do you have any other favorite meal?" Emma glanced idly into Zoe's reflection and then away.
Then back.

She gazed at her mom too "Touché."

***

Ezra opened his mouth to retort, but what could he say that would prove his point? She waited, but he only huff a great sign of irritation and turned to face the window.

Heated silence invaded her office, making Emma uncomfortable.

Unable to fight the feeling that she had gone too far, she turned to him. "Mr. Queen, I am so sorry." She said sincerely. "I shouldn't have entered your office yesterday; I should have sent someone else."

His Ocean blue eyes fixed on her face Encouraged. Emma took a deep breath.

Ezra jerked his gaze away. Once again, she realized how little she knew of this man she was lying to with all her every breath.

So unfair to him and herself If Phoebe doesn't come today, she was going to have to tell Ezra the truth.
She could not leave it like this, with him thinking of her as an uncaring person.

Such a fine man what was she doing? Is it because she wanted him to fall for her back? Trick him like this.

A woman stopped in front of Emma's office. She was a fine woman. Brown hair, with blue eyes She interrupted their conversation. Emma stared at her.

"Mom" Ezra was surprised "what brings you here?"
At last, Emma knew where Ezra got his blue eyes from and his beauty.

"My driver brought me here." His mom is hilarious... Where did he get his seriousness from? Maybe from his dad, Emma had thought.

Emma's laughter busted. The woman stared at her. Ezra glanced at her.

"You know I didn't mean that right?"

"You are no fun. Who is this woman?"

"Hi, Em... I'm Emma Facer." Emma brought her hand out for a shake... Not expecting Mrs. Queen to take it but to Emma's surprise, she placed her in Emma's hands.

"Call me Arden... You know my son talks about you a lot."

"He did?"

"Yes, He said you are a pretty woman and now I am seeing the reason why he was sick for the past five days." She said giving Ezra a face.

"Mom!"

"I am flattered."Emma looked at her.

"I like you already."

"I like you too Mrs. Queen." Emma smiled.

"As my future daughter _in-law, you are permitted to call me Arden."

Future what now? Emma finally focused on Ezra.

"What is going on here?" She mouthed.

"I don't know." He mouthed back "let's get going, mom." He put his hand on the small of her back.

"And Emma, make sure you visit me more often. I would love to chat with you and by the way, we are having family dinner this weekend, Make sure you come. I will send Ezra to pick you up by seven."

"I would love to."