Chapter 13

She wore a red flawless turtle neck gown, not because she loved red but because she wanted to impress Arden. She looked in the mirror and packed her blonde hair into a ponytail. Holy hell! Who packs their hair into a ponytail to attend a rich family dinner? Emma

Honk... She had the car sound. "Ezra is here? It's not even seven yet."

"Mom looks like your ride is here."

"I know honey." She kissed Zoe on her forehead

"And your babysitter will be here in ten minutes."

"I don't need a babysitter." She itches her nose. "I am an adult now."

"You are only three."

"So! What if I am three and besides mom, no one goes to a rich dinner with a ponytail." Zoe shakes her head. Disapproving

"Aw, Miss Sweet face is no longer a baby." Emma drew Zoe's cheeks.

"Stop it! So can I stay here without a babysitter?" Zoe did her doggy eyes thingy. She knew Emma could not resist it.

"That's a dog's but...... No." Emma replied with adorable eyes. "It's not only you that knows how to do the doggy eyes thingy....... Mama does too."

"Is it small letter no or big letter no?"

"Is that even a thing?" Emma asked.

"I just invented it. If you say small letter no then it is not sincere but if you say big letter No it is sincere. Which one are you going for?"

"My answer is the big letter No which I think is not a thing." Emma waved her hand above her head.

"What are you guys doing?" The question came out of thin air.

"Oh... Em... Gee... You are here early... I mean it's not even seven yet."
"My mom said I should bring you early. Is this a bad time or..."

"No, it's not. I am just waiting for the babysitter to arrive."

"Babysitter" He looked at her and grinned widely. "Are you on a ponytail?"

"I told her." Zoe stood back and smugly looked at her mom.

"No need for a babysitter," Ezra commented.

"I told her that too."

Ezra looked at her trying to understand what was going on before he entered.

"I told her that I don't need a babysitter and I am an adult now."

"I wanted to take you with us to dinner."

"What!" Emma and Zoe said. Scared

"What's wrong?" Ezra asked.

"Nothing... Zoe will prefer the babysitting Right?" Emma talked with her teeth instead of her mouth.

"Uh-huh," Zoe answered with her head.

"Okay! I will take that as a yes." Ezra smiled.

Emma exhaled as if a heavy load just dropped from her shoulder. The babysitter came after ten minutes and the two of them left.

***

The house was shiny, gorgeous, big, and silent.

When they entered their footsteps echoed. Emma could see the beauty of it all but at the same time, it scares her.

He took her hand into his as they walked past the hallway. She looked at their hands and smiled.

What are you doing Emma? You have to tell Ezra the truth. Her inner voice said. No little Emma, you can't tell him now. He looks happy. Her second inner voice said.