Chapter 14

Caroline woke with a start, the memories of the previous night returning with force. She sat upright, and scanned the sunny room. It was empty, and quiet. It was quite bare of possessions, and she wondered what Klaus had brought with him, if indeed he had not wanted to delay at all.

She saw his personals, his hat and gloves resting on the dressing table, and a stiff white corner poking up under them, and a day dress of her own lying on a chair, along with her study, warm boots, hat and coat. She drew back the covers and gingerly put her feet to the floor, sliding out the warm bed and onto the chilly surface.

There was a sizeable draft blowing across the rough floorboards from the ill fitting window. She glanced at the pillow and blanket that marked Klaus's bed, directly under the window, and felt a moment of guilt, perhaps she should have considered the placement of his sleeping arrangements more carefully. Especially considering his words of the previous night. Reaching the dressing table, she carefully pulled on the white corner, and found it was her letter to the Pierces.

He had removed it. She frowned, trying to understand why he would bother. Unless he didn't want anyone to know she had tried to run away... and there was a part of him that had hoped he could bring her back, whether with force or freewill, she couldn't guess, and suspected he had not known himself when he had left.

She recalled his words, so quiet in the darkness

I release you

It was all she had hoped to hear from him, the gift of her freedom returned, and perhaps, the smallest signal that the man she had glimpsed in him, the better man, was not a lie. He was trying to do the right thing for her, even though she could see it cost him, cost him more than she had expected. She could hear it in his voice, her running had proved to him what her mere words could not.

Hearing a noise in the hall, she hurried to the chair and began to dress as fast as she could, she jumped as a knock sounded at the door.

"Miss Forbes, Lord Mikaelson has requested breakfast in your room." a female's voice came from beyond the door. Going over to it, she deliberated. It was the same ruse as the man had attempted yesterday, however, given that her own clothes were here, it seemed that Klaus had already been into her room, and the man was gone. Also, the servant had referenced him by name. Her growling stomach was the last straw and she cautiously opened the door. The maid stood with a full tray, and she opened the door further to allow her entry.

"He asked that you eat as much as you can, and then come and join him downstairs." the maid said, putting the tray on the desk. Nodding and thanking her, Caroline eyes were transfixed on the food. A steaming patter of kedgeree, a bowl of porridge and some fresh fruit. Steaming hot coffee and tea also accompanied the offers. She locked the door after the departing maid and sat down, tucking into her first meal in since the same time the previous day.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Bonnie walked gingerly along the dark street, trying to keep her skirts out of the refuse that filled the centre of the street, the shallow gutter overflowing. The smell was strong enough to make her gag. Holding a perfumed handkerchief over her nose, she pressed on. The street's cobbles were slick with rain, and the gutters steamed in the cool air. There were smells of cooking spilling out of the open doorways, where children ran played. Men sat around makeshift tables in the streets, under meagre overhangs, playing card games, or just drinking. Laundry, freshly washed, hardly drying in the rain, was hung over the street at intervals, darkening the already narrow passage. Finding her way to a familiar door, she knocked and waited to be admitted. She could hear the sound of coughing from the inside, and she gripped her basket tighter, waiting in the drizzle.