Chapter 9

Caroline dressed for dinner, choosing the dress Tyler had given her. She felt nervous, though she was not sure why. Mikael had already left, though they would have a brief respite, as the Pierce's were to arrive in the morning, with other guests for the wedding.

She pulled on long gloves, and stroked the dress softly, thinking of Tyler buying it for her. She had been slightly taken aback by his reasonable and detailed layout of their future this afternoon, perhaps because she had no experience of that type of relationship, though she already knew it was what she needed. The reality would be more romantic than the proposition, she was sure, and what was romance anyway, other than the fine veil of deception people drew over them to hide the real state of affairs.

Making her way down to dinner, she entered the drawing room, surprised to see that she was among the first to appear. Tyler was there, talking with Elijah, Katherine and Kol were deep in conversation by the window, and she saw Klaus's broad back stiffen in response to her announcement, from his position by the fire. Turning slowly, her eyes met his, and his were cool, assessing as they swept her gown.

"Miss Forbes. You look stunning as always." Tyler said as he moved to her side, picking up her hand and kissing it. Caroline felt a blush sweep her cheeks, as she bobbed over the compliment, noticing out the corner of her eye Klaus turn back to the fire and his contemplation of it's fiery depths. She was brought a drink and gently sipped it, letting her attention wander as the men resumed talking of business and politics.

Spying Katherine alone by the window, she excused herself and joined her. Katherine looked beautiful tonight, if a little tense, by the way she gripped her glass tightly.

"Katherine, are you well? You seem..."

"I'm fine" she said with a brittle laugh, glancing around herself as she did. As her eyes roamed, she met Klaus's who had turned from his appreciation of the fire, and was now leaning against it, inspecting them a little. Katherine could not help a shiver running down her spine at his devilish expression, cast into harsh relief by the flames. Caroline followed her gaze, her eyes connecting with Klaus's, which she immediately dropped, and looked back to Katherine.

"That man. How can someone seem so frightening with just a look" she said quietly.

"He is not as frightening as he would have you believe." Caroline said, trying to comfort her friend, wondering why Klaus was acting particularly intimidating this evening.

" That, I am not sure I shall ever believe." Katherine muttered, turning back to Caroline wish a sad smile, and Caroline thought she must be worried about Elena still.

The dinner gong sounded, and Caroline looked around in surprise. Half the party had not yet appeared. Elijah excused himself frowning, and Tyler and Caroline exchanged amused glances. Kol returned to Katherine's side on the divan, and they shared an altogether more grim look, witnessed only by Klaus. Time played on, and the atmosphere in the room started to take on a strained air. Frequent glances were thrown to the door, and silences drew out. Klaus paced a little in front of the fire, before taking his leave and striding out the door. The remaining four looked at each other, in question.

"Perhaps they have taken ill?" Caroline suggested.

"I do hope not. My sister is the worst patient. She might yet make Niklaus look like a saint." Kol said with a small smile.

"I do believe that might be an impossible feat" Tyler said tightly, his foot starting to tap nervously.

Klaus strode down the hall, looking for his brother, or a sign of any of the missing guests. Reaching the study, he pushed open the door, finding Elijah sitting at his desk, a letter in front of him. His face was a white mask of shock. Feeling tension settle in his gut, Klaus advanced.