Chapter 19

IMPORTANT A.N - If you read the last chapter quickly after it was posted, there was a mistake and some of it disappeared, so, please check you read the end of the previous chapter]

Hey guys! I know Mikael sucks! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the next instalment.

Please review and let me know if you are enjoying it! I have a bit free time, and some really exciting things coming up for the story, so lots of lovely reviews will defin inspire me to get my head down and work on it))

.

.

.

.

.

.

She must have been exhausted, or simply did not wish to speak to him, for Caroline did not open her eyes again until the carriage stopped. He had been watching her sleep, feeling wretched and alone, needing nothing more than her smile, or her touch, anything to show him she would not hate him forever. He needed her understanding and compassion, her ability to forgive what should be unforgivable. He needed her to believe in him one last time. Yet, he knew he did not deserve that forgiveness, that he had purposefully withheld what he knew. That he had succumbed to his own selfish wants once more. He put his arms under her, meaning to carry her inside, but she stirred, sitting up and pushing him back.

"I am awake" she murmured, running her hands over her hair, restoring order. He watched silently as she prepared herself, then looked to him.

"Well?" she said and he spurred himself into action. Opening the door, he stepped down, turning immediately to help her. She took his hand, but quickly let go as her feet touched the ground and she turned away to inspect the house. It was smaller than the Mikaelson's estate, yet grander, which she had hardly thought possible. It looked fresher too, as though he had spent time improving it. It was dark, and flaming torches lit the path to the house. The staff were all standing out on display, ready to meet their new mistress. She waited for Klaus to take her arm and they walked along the line, she smiled at them, hoping to make a good first impression. Reaching the top, she was introduced to the head butler and housekeeper, very capable looking people. Next, Klaus brought her into the house. It was warm and she could see cavernous fires burning in fire places. There was a lot of beautiful, coloured glass, catching the candle light. There were also a lot of plants around the place, and then there was the art. There was art everywhere. Colours abounding, great paintings, so huge in size, she could not believe they hadn't been painted in those exact spots. There were also artefacts of travel, Persian rugs, Indian masks and Chinese lacquer. The house was tasteful, luxurious, cultured and beautiful. She looked around, aware that as she studied the hall, he studied her.

"Is it to you taste?" he asked

"You are a collector" she stated, seeing the meticulous detail and care which each of his pieces were presented and kept.

"I suppose I am"

"You like to collect beautiful things..." she said softly, and he could immediately see where she was going with the line of questions.

"Caroline -" he said his tone tortured.

"I am tired. Please, allow me to rest." she said, quietly, not wanting the new servants to realise something was amiss between them already. He looked at her, frustrated, then motioned for the bags to be fetched.

"Of course, I shall show you upstairs." he said, offering her his arm as she started up the stairs. There were few doors on the upper floor and she wondered at the layout of the house.

"I shall give you a tour tomorrow, if you wish. Westmere is an unusual home. My father built it for solitude, a place to escape the city, and company, it does not accommodate many, despite it's size. It has been designed to give the most space and luxury to a small number." he explained as they reached a set of double doors. Opening them, they stepped in, and he saw the staff had already lit the fire and candles, which made him relieved. The room looked warm and inviting. It had at it's centre a massive fourposter bed. A huge fire place dominated one wall, while the one opposite was almost entirely covered in windows, which lead out onto a balcony. There were two dressing rooms, leading of the bedroom, a female and male one. There there was a bathroom, next to them. Caroline walked into the room, pulling her coat from her shoulders tiredly. She felt Klaus's hands cover hers.