Chapter 29

.

"Elijah... what are you doing here?" she stammered, still trying to catch her breath. He smiled at her, stepping closer and pulling her into a dance. Katherine barely noticed they were moving, so absorbed was she in the man before her. He looked the same, yet different, and she found herself listing each, his skin was tanned, his hair longer, differences, his broad frame and dark eyes, similar. And the look he gave her now, the warm smile, the intent expression, so different from what she had experienced from him lately, yet so similar to how he used to look at her.

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves and glanced away, thinking only escaping from that face would she stand a chance of carrying out a coherent conversation.

"I have been travelling for quite some time, and my foreign interests are concluded at present, so I thought to return home. There is something about London that has occupied my mind, in my absence."

"Such as?" Katherine inquired.

"It is not polite to ask, Miss Pierce, though why I should suppose that might stop you, I do not know." he chuckled as she huffed at the reprimand.

"Really, I am starting to think you only enjoy tormenting me." she muttered., and they continued to dance in silence. After a while, the searing looks he threw at her were too much, and as they left the floor she glanced up at him.

"Have you forgiven me then?"

" I told you as much, in my letters"

"Yes, but you never directly said it."

"I seldom directly say the things I mean... or want. It is a failing of mine, I admit."

"I have never suffered from that affliction."

"I am sure you have not." Elijah agreed smiling.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Caroline smiled politely as another couple chattered on endlessly, when over their shoulders she suddenly spied a familiar blonde, laughing and smiling, standing next to a tall, dark man with piercing eyes. Caroline quickly excused herself and started toward them.

"Rebekah!" she exclaimed. As she neared, she saw Rebekah's eyes were large and full of happiness, her hand was tucked into the crook of Damon's arm.

"Caroline" Rebekah greeted her, and immediately hugged her close. Caroline looked at Damon's face, over her shoulder and saw there immense gratitude.

"I did not know you would be back tonight! I am so happy to see you" Caroline went on, a thought suddenly tickling the back on her mind.

"You did not know? I would have thought Nik would have told you" Rebekah said, nose wrinkling for a moment in confusion before she pushed it aside and focused on more important things.

"I have so much to tell you, Damon, we need some privacy" she said imperiously, flashing him a look, with Damon took in his stride, a grin playing around his lips.

"My dear, as you wish. But I shall find you soon enough, for tonight, all your dances are mine" he murmured, kissing her hand and sauntering off into the crowd.

"Come, let us find somewhere private." Rebekah said, pulling Caroline's arm, she held back.

"Wait, did your brother come with you?" Caroline asked, seeing a familiar impatient look on Rebekah's face.