Chapter 44

.

Klaus waited until her breath deepened and her body relaxed in sleep before he started to breathe with ease. His heart, pounding with nerves, expecting to be sent away at any moment finally started to calm. He tried to loosen his muscles, as tight as a bow string. Turning his head to the side, he felt his heart quake, for altogether different reasons. Caroline. His Caroline, so close. She was facing him, her face in sweet response more beautiful than anything he could recall seeing in his long and weary travels. As gently as he could, without waking her, he turned and rested his head alongside hers. He watched as her eyelashes fluttered in her dreams, the halo the light made from the window through her golden hair that framed her face.

He lay awake, more content than he could ever remember being, yet more afraid. Losing Caroline and Ellie was not something he could survive again, of that he was sure. What had he been subsisting for, if not the chance to see her again, the woman who had made his life worth living, as much as he had not permitted himself to think of it then. He slowly raised a hand, and drew his fingers through her hair, as fine as spun silk, and in a moment of weakness, inhaled it deeply. It was almost painful, the contraction of his heart as he edged his head closer to hers, and closed his eyes, surrounded in her, his flood of memories suddenly seemed as dogeared and limited as ever, while laying holding the real object of love in his arms.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"M'Lady" a small voice pulled Caroline from her sleep as she suddenly came awake with a start. Daylight flooded the room, and she looked around disoriented. She glanced to the other side of the bed, and saw the empty indentation where Klaus had lain. It had been no dream then, she thought as she focused on the maid at the door.

"Yes?" Caroline managed, collapsing back and wondering suddenly what the time might be.

"Well, I did not mean to wake you... it's just I went to check on Miss Ellie, as she's usually up at this time..."

"And?"

"And... she'ds not there, Ma'am." the maid bit out nervously. Caroline stared at her perplexed.

"When was this?" she asked finally, her brain coming back into motion.

"Just a moment ago"

"Is his Lordship here?"

"No M'Lady"

"Have you considered that they might be together?" the young girl's brows knit together as she considered it, and Caroline realised it might be strange for Klaus to be here for those other than her.

"I am sure she is with her father, but I thank you for your concern" Caroline said, smiling brightly at the maid, touched by her worry. As the girl set to lighting the fire, Caroline rose, and pasted a pleasant smile on her face as she went about dressing. Of course Ellie was with Klaus, where else might she be? She reassured herself, yet her eyes kept straying to the street, hoping to find two curly blonde heads, one small, one tall making their way home.

Klaus sniffed the bouquet he had chosen for Caroline as he approached home. It was stunning, and best of all, it smelled beautiful, and he knew Caroline favoured blooms with scents. He jogged up the townhouse steps and entered, seeing the drawing room door slightly ajar, made his way to surprise his beautiful wife. He had a second chance here, thanks to fate, and he wasn't about the waste it. The butler passed him his mail as he passed, and he carried it with him into the drawing room. Caroline made a picture, sitting in the window at her writing desk. Her hair caught up, her dress restrictive and demur, it was a wild contrast to the previous night, yet her eyes still flashed the same at him, her fire bringing a smile to his lips. He crossed the room is a couple of long bounds and presented her the flowers with a flourish, taking her hand in the process and surprising her by pressing a kiss on her soft palm. Her eyes narrowed at him as she snatched her hand away.