Chapter 30

.

"Thank you so much for this, Mr Pierce. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it."

"No need, my dear, though I am curious, now that your husband has arrived in town, why he is not taking care of it."

"It is a private matter, to be honest, it is not something I wish to involve him in" Caroline said, hoping that John would drop it. They stepped out onto the leafy pavement, the trees of London thick with lush foliage and a warm, lively sun making the pale sandstone and marble of the streets glow. They got into the waiting carriage and started away from his lawyers offices and back to the Pierce's townhouse. Caroline had told Klaus she would be spending the entire day there, with Katherine. She had indeed gone there first, before making this small trip with John, and now they were returning there.

The lawyers office had gone well, though it was an unorthodox situation. In the beginning, she had not known if it was even possible, as her fortune might already belong to her husband, through merit of their marriage. However, John had revealed to her the provision, set down by her parents, that she must agree to pass over the fortune, something which he doubted Mikael even realised yet. Whether Klaus knew it or not, he had not asked it. Therefore, with the money still within her power, she had insisted, citing the only example she had known of, Klaus and his biological father.

Her fortune would belong to her unborn child, should that child be born, and out of reach of Mikael. She and Klaus had no need for the money in the meantime, therefore she had granted restricted access to the funds from guardians. The thought of double crossing Mikael had been more uncomfortable than she had expected, when it came to signing the papers, however she had gone through with it. He was a tyrant, who had made the lives of each of his children miserable in some way, and none more than Klaus, who would no doubt always bear the scars of his unhappy childhood.

Caroline knew she was soft hearted, too softhearted most of the time, yet, when it came to family, or someone she loved, she could be as fierce as a lioness protecting her young. She could not let the fact that Mikael had shown her a softer side of himself in recent weeks sway her. Too many tears had fallen, to many hopes and dreams dashed, for that man to succeed. Also because she knew what losing her fortune would do to Klaus, and she could not allow that. Now, all she had to do was execute her plan, and hopefully Klaus would never know what had happened, as she thought Mikael unlikely to be the sort who would speak of his own defeat.

They arrived at the Pierce's and entered, finding a company already assembled in the drawing room. Upon entering, Caroline felt her stomach drop seeing Elijah standing to greet them, Katherine by his side, a look of pure happiness on her face. She hoped Elijah would not mention to her husband that she had been out, as Klaus was sure to ask why and where she had gone with John. She forced a smile at Elijah, one which quickly became a look of alarm, as a throat clearing across the room pulled her attention, and she forgot about Elijah letting her secret out.

He was also standing, his golden hair glowing in the light thrown from the window. His blue eyes slightly narrowed, he missed not one moment of her discomfort as she smiled at him, a beat too slowly.

"My dear" Klaus said, bowing to her, his smirk already indicating that she had some explaining to do.

"My lord, I thought you were engaged at home?" Caroline said, trying to sound light and nonchalant.

"I was, but when Elijah expressed his intentions to call, I though... why not visit my lovely wife" he said, and Caroline could swear he was enjoying her discomfort.

"Hmm" she said, turning away from him, flashing a desperate look at Katherine.

"Capital. I shall leave you young people to it then" John said from the door, disappearing to his study, the door closing behind him.