Chapter 22

The storm was the worst of the year in fact, the worst in memory. In London, Jenna delivered a healthy baby boy, surrounded by friends and family. Elijah delayed his departure for his family business interests in Europe, out of respect for the new addition to his extended family. Rebekah met with her father's business acquaintances, in dinner after dinner. Stefan and Elena shared a look over Alaric's joy when he became a father, an unspoken desire passing between them. Damon kept himself occupied and waited for a dinner invitation from Mikael Mikaleson that never came. Katherine threw herself into helping Bonnie tend the poor and Kol Mikaelson became a fixture at the Pierces' house, though not for the reasons Isobel Pierce hoped.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Miles away, in a dark, swaying forest, trees slick with the rain that never seemed to stop falling, a small cabin stood in a clearing, smoke coming from it's chimney.

When Caroline had woken, she had been clutched with fear. She sat up gasping for breath, feeling the cold water close over her head once more. Slowly her senses adjusted and she realised she was dry, and warm and sitting on something soft. She looked down, her hands going to her body, patting herself, checking over. What had happened? She wondered. She remembered being in the carriage, and going into the water, and then it all stopped. She jumped as she looked to the side and saw Klaus's back facing her. He was lying on his side, away from her, right on the edge of the cot. He seemed to be asleep. She gingerly pushed herself to the bottom of the cot, and slid off the edge, careful not to wake him.

"Caroline?" his dry voice came from behind her, and she jumped. Twisting around she saw him looking at her, over his shoulder, his blue eyes tired, and his face unusually pale.

"How do you feel?" he asked anxiously, his eyes running over her. She looked down, realising she no longer wore her gown.

"I am... well... I think, I don't know, I can remember nothing after the water." she admitted, and saw the relief in his eyes at her words. He closed them and leaned back, the effort of sitting up seemed to exhaust him.

"Believe me, it's better to forget" he said, opening his eyes again and turning his attention to the cabin. It was dim, they seemed to have slept the whole day through, and night had once again fallen, though it could be the storm.

"And you? Are you well?" she could not prevent the worried tone from seeping into her voice, and at her words, his mouth turned up wryly in the corners.

"Unfortunately for you my dear, I believe I shall be just fine." he mocked gently. Caroline turned her face away from his words... so he hadn't forgiven her for the letter then, it seemed. Sighing, she stood up and moved to the door, the rough floor cold against her bare feet. She opened it a little. A strong wind blew in immediately, and pushed her back, ripping the door from her hands. Shocked, as freezing rain fell on her, she struggled to push it closed again.

Finally shutting it, she leaned against it, breathing hard, the scene outside playing in her mind. The darkness, the whipping rain, the wind tearing along the hillside, howling. She looked to Klaus, who had stood up also, and whipped a shirt quickly over his head, turned away from her. She raised an eyebrow at his action, and he smiled uncomfortably.

"I had not expected such modesty from you" she said as she went to her bag and rooted around for her warmest boots.

"Well, I am shy, I confess." he said, going to the fire, and adding more logs, taking up a long stick and poking the red embers, generating sparks.