Chapter 15

Rebekah walked into the town house, her stomach clenched as tightly as it could. She looked back, before the door closed, catching a last glimpse of Damon Salvatore as the carriage drew away. She longed to run back out there, climb into it and never stop again.

Instead she turned around, and slowly started toward her room, the footmen having already taken her luggage up. A sound from the study drew her attention, and she glanced that way, stopping as she saw Elijah standing up from the desk where he had been sitting. His face inscrutable as he approached her.

"Sister. You have returned intact I see" he said, raising his eyebrow slightly as her. She nodded, fearing her voice to speak.

"Is father home?" she asked, haltingly and felt relief course through her as he shook his head.

"You have some time" he said and then tilted his head to the side as she looked around.

"What is it Elijah, just come out with it"

"How could you act so rashly... so... inappropriately?"

"I did it for love of my brother. He couldn't marry Elena Pierce, he is in love with someone else, and I believe she cares for him too" she said adamantly, seeing a sad look come over her elder brother's face.

"I forgot, you would not know"

"Know what?" she asked

"Come, sit down and hear about the impact of your plan on your dear brother... and your friend." Elijah said, his voice clipped and short. Frowning she followed him into the study.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Caroline woke early, the sounds of the docks pulling her from her dreams. Dreams where she ran through mist and fog, trying to find the boat that would bare her to happiness... take her home. But she couldn't see anything, the swirling fog hiding the shape and names of the ships.

She turned a little, seeing the cause of her confusion and heartache lying near her, asleep. She studied his profile, mesmerised by the vulnerability of the man in his sleep, stripped of his usual aura of power and confidence. His golden stubble, full pink lips, his tawny eyelashes resting on his cheeks. The cover had been thrown back, and she had to stop herself from staring at his chest. She had not seen a grown man shirtless before, and never with so much time to study their form in detail. Since she had no comparison, she might be wrong, but she thought it would be difficult to find a naked torso more beautiful than the one lying only inches from her. Gently, she pushed herself up, pulling back the covers and stood. Dressing quietly, while he still slept, she put remaining items in her case and sat at the window, looking out at the ships docking, and preparing to leave.

A stirring came from the bed after a while, and she looked over to see Klaus rubbing his hands over his face, before looking to his left, at her empty side. Suddenly sitting, he looked around, instantly alert.

"Good morning" she said softly, drawing his gaze. Upon seeing her, his tense face relaxed and he leaned back on the pillows sighing.

"Good morning" he said, looking more closely at her, seeing her fully clothed. His eyes fell on the cases that sat packed by the door. His face was unreadable as he looked at them for a moment, and then he sat up and swung his legs over the bed, presenting her with his back.

"I'll be ready presently." he said, his voice sounding very far away.

"Am I preparing for a voyage to New York?" he asked blankly. Nothing about his tone betrayed how his heart pounded wildly at the question, and his palms grew damp.