Chapter 28

March 24th 1810

London

Caroline linked her arm through Katherine's as they made their way along the busy London street. It was all abustle as carriage rattled past, sellers cried their wares and they passed by stalls, where the smell of hot pies was almost to good to forgo.

The Salvatores had stayed near to Klaus's exclusive address, and Damon had decided to stay on there, even when he was the only one remaining in England. The situation with Damon and Rebekah confused Caroline to no end. She saw they way they each yearned for each other, and yet were powerless to move forward, though Caroline did have her suspicions as to who might be responsible for whatever obstacle hindered them.

Jenna and Alaric would soon be leaving for America, having decided to settle there, with their most recent addition. Katherine would be entering the season once more, and she had asked Caroline to come to London to help her endure the endless monotony of dress fittings and social calls in preparation. For the season proper, Klaus would join her, and they would escort both Rebekah and Katherine to functions and events, along with Mr and Mrs Pierce.

Caroline pulled at Katherine's arm as they passed by another stall, the smell making Caroline's mouth water.

"Wait" Caroline said, looking to the glistening food. Katherine rolled her eyes and pulled her on.

"Caroline, you'll be as big as a house if you are not careful. Anyway, Bonnie warned you against street food." Katherine said blithely, seeing the Salvatore house come into view, and narrowing her eyes, distracted at the sight of a familiar carriage sat in front.

Caroline nodded reluctantly and allowed herself to be moved along. There was another reason for her visit to London, more specifically, to Bonnie, one that her husband had no idea about.

She was with child. His child. The prospect was still terrifying, and Bonnie had only just confirmed it. Caroline was overjoyed, and yet,frightened at the same time. It was common knowledge to her, through Isobel that her mother's pregnancy had been wrought with difficulties, and apparently all the women in her family had not become mothers easily. She had intended to tell Klaus, before anyone else, yet she had not allowed for Katherine's eavesdropping.

As they arrived at the door, it opened before them, and they were escorted to the drawing room, where Caroline immediately saw that Damon already had a caller.

"Lady Mikaelson! What a pleasure" Tyler Lockwood's voice was warm and his smile seemed genuine as the men stood to greet them. She smiled demurely, and sat down, as far away as possible from him. Katherine and Damon started lively conversation, and Caroline was glad the group was small, so more private conversation was not possible. After a short while, Tyler took his leave and she watched him go gladly. While he was the model of good behaviour, she still felt uncomfortable around him, given his previous behaviour.

Alone with Damon at last, Caroline fixed him with a disapproving look.

"Alas something tells me I will feel the loss of the company of Mr Lockwood quite keenly" he mused, his tone light as he settled back in his chair, feeling the weight of both women's looks on him.

"Damon, why have you not visited us at Westmere?"

"I have been engaged in rather tricky business matters, which, sadly, had kept me to London" he said stiffly.

"And why have we not had so much as a letter to that effect?" Caroline continued.

"Too busy with your... social obligations?" Katherine asked, a little too sweetly, a hint of steel in her gaze.