Chapter 37

.

"Katherine, I must have costume, Tyler will arrive any moment."

"I cannot believe you are allowing him to escort you to my engagement party" Katherine huffed as she pulled a box from under her bed. Elena laughed at her sister in the mirror.

"Well, I remember a day when you thought Mr Lockwood quite the appropriate suitor for Caroline, sister."

"Well, that day is not today, and I do not approve. This is my night, and I do not think a date is necessary." Caroline rolled her eyes at Katherine's outrageous statement, before grabbing the box from her and pulling it open.

"I agree, I do not care for Mr Lockwood, though I hope you take this opportunity to enjoy his attention, as in two weeks, at my wedding, all eyes shall be where they are supposed to be... on me" Rebekah announced breezily from the mirror. Caroline sorted through the garments in the bag, trying to make sense of the costume.

"I did not know you do not care for Mr Lockwood Rebekah, may I ask why not?"

"It's not that I dislike him...simply he is not..." Rebekah trailed off, catching Caroline's eye in the mirror, and the girls fell silent as they were always apt to do, whenever he came into the conversation. Caroline looked down into the box, and gasped, pulling a pair of feather covered wings out.

"Katherine, this is beautiful!"

"I know" Katherine said with a self satisfied smirk.

Caroline pulled out the long gauzy white gown, and gold mask, touching them gently, as though afraid of breaking them. Katherine watched her out the side of her eye. Her plan was coming together nicely, with the exception of Tyler Lockwood, who she hadn't known had asked to accompany Caroline this evening. Well, no matter, he decided. Nothing spurred men on faster than competition.

"It is a shame Bonnie will not join us tonight." Elena mused.

"Bonnie is far too busy growing another human being inside her, and looking after the unruly Salvatore-Mikaelson mischiefs. I swear, this family is going to grow so big we will need the entire row of town houses to accommodate us." Rebekah said.

"Well, I am afraid I plan of having many more, to fill up all those houses... Katherine, how about you?" Elena asked.

"I think two is a good number, three at most."

"Three! That sounds altogether too tiring" Rebekah joined, and almost naturally the conversation lulled as it moved to Caroline who was caught in a half laugh, laugh sigh for a moment.

"I think one is the perfect number... for me" she said quietly, pushing her chin out, straightening her shoulders against their sympathetic gazes.

"Right, well, will you not dress? We do not want to keep your admirer waiting" Katherine said bluntly, knowing how it irked Caroline to be seen as pitiful or sad. She watched as the blonde moved behind the screen to dress and turned her attention to her own costume. She was nervous, incredibly so, but something had to be done. Both of them were so damn stubborn they would let time pass ad infinitum as they both refused to move even an inch toward each other. They needed a push, and luckily for them she was more than willing.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The venue was beautiful, and the costumes heightened the other worldly feeling of the night. Tyler escorted her respectfully, and they went first to the refreshment area. He handed her a glass of champagne and she accepted with a smile.