Chapter 5

A couple of days after the dinner party, Caroline was busy with lessons, and helping Katherine and Elena with their homework when Isobel came to the door of the parlour.

"Caroline, there is a gentleman here for you." she said, almost disguising her surprise. Caroline looked at her blankly, her mind unable to come up with one face who it might be, but one she terribly hoped it was not.

"Did you hear me! You have a caller! Elena, Katherine and I shall keep him occupied whilst you... fix yourself up" she said, waving her hand in the general direction of Caroline's hair. Jumping up, Katherine rushed through, with Elena a close second, and Caroline stole upstairs to make herself more presentable.

Slipping into her nicest day dress, and pulling her hair back, she wondered who it could be. Ready in only a few minutes, she went back to the drawing room.

Stepping inside the door, her heart pounded for a moment at the view of muscular legs by the fireplace, then raising her eyes, she found herself in the warm, embracing smile of Tyler Lockwood.

"Miss Forbes! I am relieved to see you so recovered" he said smoothly, moving toward her and kissing her hand.

"Mr Lockwood! Such European manners" Isobel purred, weighing up his prospects. She knew his family of course, and knew they had considerable pull in society circles here, not to mention an extremely profitable business that passed to the first son, which Tyler was.

"Well, I have been travelling extensively, though I am more glad than ever that I managed to return to London for the season" his eyes captured Caroline's as he spoke. Katherine gave a little cough to break the silence, and everyone laughed a little nervously.

"Have you been enjoying this season in particular then, Mr Lockwood?" Isobel asked leadingly, causing Caroline's cheeks to flush a little with her insinuation. Tyler simply smiled confidently.

"Well, it started well, sadly though, I have been deprived of my dance partner for a few weeks" he said.

Isobel watched with satisfaction. Mr Lockwood's obvious interest was promising indeed.

"On that note, I was hoping Miss Forbes would accompany me to the opera tomorrow night." he stated calmly, unaware of the looks that passed around the girls faces at the request.

"Ah, I am sure Caroline would love to accept, however, we have already agreed to go with the Mikaelsons, and Caroline could not possibly accompany you unchaperoned."

"I had planned for us to sit with my parents in our box. I believe it is right across from the Mikaelsons, the Salvatores are also joining us." Tyler said smoothly,

"Perhaps we could pick her up in our family carriage, and I assure you, my parents would not let her out of their sight." he smiled winningly, seeing the indecision on Isobel's face.

"Anyway, you'll practically be able to see into our box." he said, watching as Isobel made up her mind.

"In that case, I think I might be willing to make an exception." she said

"What! You'd never allow me to go out unchaperoned" Katherine pouted.

"Dear, this is a completely different case, as Mr Lockwood has illustrated." Isobel said pointedly.

"Well, I'm really looking forward to it." Tyler said, making to leave, sending the girls all rushing to their feet.

"Mrs Pierce, Miss Elena, Miss Katherine, it's wonderful to see you again, and I no doubt shall repeat the pleasure tomorrow at the Opera. Miss Forbes, I wait in anticipation of the morrow. And at the risk of sounding too bold, I hope to see you in blue, blue with gold would suit you perfectly" he smiled, his white teeth shining against his tanned skin.