Aftershock (Chapter 20)

Thank you for 36K reads! You guys had to be committed to put up with my procrastination! This chapter is much deserved! Enjoy!

Kylie's POV

I woke up with a start.

I had been feeling half- asleep and -half-awake all night long, and it was that kind of feeling you can't relieve, but resides in the back of your brain.

'Maybe it's true, all of those sayings that say when others dream of you and you are awake in their dreams, you can't sleep in real life'

I wasn't very convincing to myself; in truth, I knew what it was that kept me half- awake through the entire night. And it had nothing to do with somebody else's dreams, but the very opposite.

Honestly, I had never believed all the twisted things they had said in camp about demi-god dreams being worse than a normal dream; how they are supposed to be some kind of outlet for clairvoyance. Whatever they said it was, I didn't believe one bit of it. How could you ask me to when the person I dream about, the one who refuses to let me have any decent sleep is 6 feet under?

"You're a disgrace to our name!"

I smacked my eyes shut, trying to drown out the echo from the nightmare. I could feel my own eyes unfogging, like the heat from your breath when you blow on a window slowly fading. After it subsided, I put my hands to my temples to soothe the burning.

"All that power mother, and you still can't get them to stop", I say in a whisper.

The next thing I knew I felt something almost physically grab at my head and sink into my skull. I grabbed my head, but there was nothing touching me. "We need it, it fuels us. It gives us power. Let the fear, the pain, the anger, let it consume you!", it was that same voice I had heard before, the one that had been like thunder, and I knew it was still her, but it was different, rather than rolling thunder it was like crackling lightning, not as strong as before. I did as the voice asked and let all my underlying emotions come over me like a wave. My mother didn't need to tell me for me to understand, she was weakening and I needed to do something about it.

Dean's POV

All the days since my dream had been a blur. How many days had Y/N and my brother been gone? I felt terrible for even having to ask myself that question. They could be seriously injured or even dead right now, and I'm not even worried enough about them to be counting the days they're away and how many days it's been since I've last heard from them.

But I couldn't, my very own brain kept me from thinking of my very own brother and best friend. All because of that stupid nightmare.

Then again, everyone has been saying that demigod dreams are something like prophetic or warnings or something, maybe this was my chance to help out with something, while Y/N and Jayden were on their quest with Nico, I could watch over Kylie. God knows she needs it. But I couldn't help having a suspicious feeling about Kylie. She has been acting differently recently, was she hiding something from us? 

Was she having nightmares again? No, this was different, I had seen her spells of nightmares that came over her, and this was different... like she had found something, something she thought was part of her. 

But, was this really just a piece of Kylie I had never seen before, or is it something else acting in Kylie?

None of it made sense, after all, what could possibly be acting inside of Kylie? But I was stilled worried and if I knew anything, it was that darkness in one person sparks the hidden darkness in more than just the first victim.