The Fall

-Bliv

The vastly widened corridor stretched keenly across the top floor of the Australian Sanctuary, noted on leaving the lift into the exposed space.
It was nothing at all like Ireland.
The walls were of glass, stretched out and modem; catching the blinding sunlight as it fell, creating a crystal effect on the pine flooring. Light was everywhere and the view meant that you could see the sunrise forming on the horizon quite beautifully.
I followed Ghastly, keeping keenly at his side like a leashed dog as we were lead to a giant room, the roof high above us; making even skulduggery gape. The walls were much unlike the outside facade, now adorned with carved oaken patterns of men and beast fighting beneath dark skies. Apparently it meant something; to what I couldn't really care less. A huge mahogany table took up the breadth of the room, dozens upon dozens of seats circulating it, places marked out with cards. A large window, much like one of a church, sat opposite the doorway, the summer sunshine outside easily made out.
I was still looking around when a whisper came to my ear,
"Nice isn't it?" Dex winked and walked past me, joining the other four. Donegan and Gracious had already retired back to the lodge hours earlier.
Voices echoed from down the hall and I quickly retreated back to Skulduggery as a few mages started to file into the room, chatting eagerly in avid French. Unfortunately I understood the majority of it.
"We aren't entirely wanted here, you must understand." Ghastly, meeting the french's gaze whispered in my ear. The couple passed at sat down in their acquired seats around the table, more followed their goings and the table became fuller and fuller. The room was now a throng of chatter, full of double glances and hushed voices.
"Stick with me and you'll be fine, Bliv." Following Ghastly to my seat I was caught by the eye of a man opposite who gave me a quick wink; much to my disgust.
Dexter was joined with Tanith on the designated seats behind us with Skulduggery and Valkyrie up the table opposite to us, Val gave a little wave which I returned.
I let my eye wander and surveyed my status and assumptions.
The table was set out much like the Camelot theory, everyone treated equally. This was of course a Cradle of Magic: tradition was valued more than anything here. Except it became blatantly obvious this wasn't the case.
Two seats on the main table were designated to a Grand Mage and their Elder. One Elder. A ring behind acted as a jury as such, 'supporting' the acquired Sanctuary; supporting the correct terminology used for the circumstance. This was of course a fight for power, even if hidden.
A man dressed much like Ghastly but in purple robes instead of scarlet came through the door in a billow of fabric, obviously very full of his position. At his side was a portly man of around four hundred dressed smartly in the same robes with heavy stubble. A man I knew all too well.
"Ghastly hide me." I nudged Bespoke fleetingly and slid down in my mahogany seat a little, cowering as the man took his seat opposite, still chatting away eagerly oblivious to the fact a rival sat so near.
Ghastly's brow knitted together and he sighed. "Armageddon we are representing the Irish Sanctuary here, please don't slouch."
"But he hates m..."
"Oblivion?" A roaring of a voice, much like a pig squeal, echoed across to where we sat and I felt my eyes widen as they concentrated hard on the table.
I lifted my head a tad and caught the eye of a certain Cothernus Ode.
The British Grand Mage sat to the side of him, Quintin Strom's face infixed on mine.
"What's a wreck like you doing here?" The last syllable came across as a sneer, rather stereotypically for his persona.
Ghastly turned a little on his remark and shot the Elder a hard, concrete look.
"I.." I started but before either Ghastly or my own remarks could be heard, a billow of quiet provoking sounds led around the table and the hall was silent.
"Good luck." Ghastly quietly whispered to me.
I swallowed and returned his remark, "I'll need it."

***
-Tanith

Nobody had noticed my absence since I left; or at least they would have forgotten worrying by this time. I was trained that way, unseen, invisible. Handy at many occasions.
It was heavy in my pocket, almost as heavy as my heart; I could feel its weight pulling down at my leather coat as I walked, head down and avoiding eye contact.
It was hard enough as it was without questions.
I took a sharp left, taking a stair way downwards unto an empty corridor where the lights seemed to be dimmer and no glass occupied the walls.
I stood but the lift, waiting. Thoughts ran through my head like the earlier morning caffeine, buzzing like carbonated water through my veins. Blood pounded in my ears and a feeling of claustrophobia overtook me. I was trapped. Trapped from an escape, there was no way out of this now. No where to run.
If I ran they would kill Ghastly. If I didn't and I stayed everyone else will die.
Everyone else will die.
The notion circulated through my head as the lift beside me hummed and the automatic beams moved with the shaft as blue numbers ticked down the seconds.