Chapter Eighteen

Alexandria

I hopped off the elevator and walked to my apartment. I didn't really get a chance to go out. I debated on going inside, but instead, I just turned back around to the elevators. Before I could press the button, it opened, revealing Zach. He stepped out and his eyes widened.

Is he going to say how he wasn't here to see me again?

"Hi," I spoke, not really knowing what to say, "Do-"

"I wa- sorry, what we're you going to say?" he says and wave him off.

"You go," I say. I was actually going to ask him out... Not on a date, but just out.

"Okay, well do... would you want to go out for coffee or somthing?" he asks and he sucks in a breath. I almost laugh at how nervous he's being, but I nod.

We walk back to the elevators and step in. A weird silence overtakes us and I begin to whistle. Zach side glances at me and I stop abruptly, "Sorry, I tend to whistle when there's awkward silence," I say before thinking. I mentally slap myself because I probably made it even more awkward.

He laughs, a real laugh and I chuckle too, ''It's refreshing," he says and I question him with my eyebrows, ''I like how you're awkward..." he says and I blush, shaking my head.

"It's not refreshing, it's... weird," I say and he tilts his head, staring at me.

"You are weird," he says and I scoff.

"No I'm not," I defend and he smiles and I look at him weirdly, "What?"

"I just wanted to get you to admit it," he smirks, turning back to face the opening elevator, leaving me gaping at him.

Smooth move Hefner, smooth move.

We began walking towards the main doors, and surprise surprise.

Paprazzi awaits.

But there are only a few of them now and they honestly just look like a bunch of weirdos with cameras.

Well...

Zach shields my face, by wrapping his arms around my shoulders. I like the way his warm coat protects me from the cold.

Zach hails a cab and we get in swiftly. I rub my hands together so they'll get nice and toasty. "55 Place and Penn," he speaks to the driver.

"Here," Zach says, taking off his gloves, but I shake my head, scooting away from him. He laughs, but grabs my hands regardless of what I said.

He puts his black gloves on my hands and I smile at his gentlemeness.

"Thanks," I say and he nods, "So we're going... to your place?" I ask cautiously and he nods.

"We can go somewhere else," he states quickly and I shake my head.

"No! I-- I mean... I don't really want to be in the public right now," I say and he laughs at my nervousness.

I'm not nervous dammit!

He just makes me, well-- nervous.

"Okay, I honestly would rather be alone instead of out there anyways,'' he says and for some reason, I smile giddily.

He smiles back, but it fades a little, causing me to get a bit weary.

Before we know it, we end up at his place, exiting the cab.

He greets his doorman with politeness and I begin to get nervous as we enter the elevator together.

Silence overtakes us, but in a way, it's sort of comfortable, in a secretive, hushed, and sort of sensual way.