It's hard to see the boy you cradled in your arms, the boy you protected, the boy you loved, to be in such a state.

Uncle Shafqat visited in the evenings, a time where Anaaya and him would sit in the hospital room and talk all that they could.

Uncle Shafqat would tell her all of Hassan's childhood stories and she would smile or giggle, imagining tiny Hassan.

"Anaaya, beta, naashta kar lo pehle."
(Anaaya, have breakfast first.)

She heard the voice of her mother in law as she walked down the stairs, her hair wet from the shower as she made her way onto the dining table.

The moment she came near the dining table, she saw an enormous platter of food. Eggs, bread, piles of fruit. Fresh juices.

Aunty Shagufta was cutting more fruit, Anaaya never stopped her from wasting all this food. She understood that this was all her mother in law had in control right now.

"Nahin aunty, main bus ab niklun gi."

(No aunty, I'll just leave now.)

She replied to her query of breakfast and her mother in law looked at her, clicking her tongue.

"Jaan, aise nahi chalega, chalo betho, main paratha bana ke deti hoon. Kha kay jao."

(Love, it can't work this way. Come sit, I'll make you a paratha, eat it and then go.)

She stood up from her place, slapping away her hands from the table and looking at her daughter in law with pityful eyes.

"Aunty, sach main bilkul dil nahi hai Mera."

(Aunty, I really don't feel like eating.)

She mumbled, she glanced at her oldest son who was still not eating his sandwich, instead he was just staring at his food with eyes filled with small tears.

"Abaan, what's wrong love?" Anaaya softly questioned, sliding in the seat beside him and cupping her son's face.

"Mummy, can I come with you?" The innocent question rolled off his tongue.

"Why?"

"I want to see baba."

Anaaya sighed, looking around, at Rania who had Aira in her arms, at Maggie who was putting jam on Rohaan's toast, at her mother in law who had wanted to see her son, just as bad as Abaan.

She looked back at Abaan, shaking her head.

"I'm sorry, baby. Not right now, I'll take you some other day." She denied and the child frowned.

She held his chin again.

"Hey, listen to me? You're the older brother, hmm? You have to take care of Aira, Rohaan and Zayaan. Right?" She tried to explain to him as Rania came towards them, playing with Aira.

"When your dad wakes up, I can tell him that Abaan is a big boy now. He'll be so proud of you." She continued.

"Really?"

"Mhmm, now give me a kiss and go eat your breakfast." The boy happily obliged, kissing his mother's cheek and drinking his juice.

Anaaya moved on to the twins now, who were grumbling away at each other.

"Zayaan, Rohaan, you need mama to bring you anything for dinner?"

"Cake and icecream." They prounouced. She nodded.

She would give them the world if she could.

"Okay, come here, give me a kiss." This precious time with her kids, it was the only source of happiness she had these days.