CHAPTER 21- APPOINTMENT

Start from the beginning

He groaned then turned his head the other way. She walked to the other side "Please?"

"Leave me alone" he mumbled clutching the pillow to himself.

"Please?" she begged again. He turned his head again. Instead of walking to the other side, she climbed on the bed. "Please. I won’t ask for anything again"

"Please" she repeated when he didn’t say anything. “Ash" she shoved his shoulder.

"What the fuck is your problem?!" He snapped turning on his back. Emily sat back on her heel "I told you no. now fuck off" he added sitting up.

“I don’t know the bus route" she said softly looking into his hazel eyes filled with half-sleep and anger. "I don’t care. Get off" he pushed her with his leg. "Get off" he pushed her again then again until she was completely off the bed.

"Can I use your computer to look it up then?"

 Without even giving it a thought, he replied "No" then laid back on his stomach. "Get lost" he added before covering his head with the sheet.

"Is there a computer I can use in this building?" she asked Gladys walking back in the kitchen. For a place as fancy as the building, she was sure there would a computer residents could use or maybe a library; but then again probably not, if anyone could afford to live there, they should be able to afford a computer.

"I don’t know. Would you like me to ask Sam in the lobby?"

Emily nodded "Please?" Gladys nodded then walked over to the phone hung on the wall. "Never mind" she stopped Gladys before she got to the phone.

“I will just call the taxi".

"You sure?" the older woman asked walking back to Emily. "Yea I am. It’s too late for me to start trying to figure out the bus route" she glanced at the time displayed on the microwave 8:58. She should have been out the house by now in order to make her appointment; trying to figure out the bus route this late would result in her being late for her first appointment. She couldn’t afford to miss this one, it was the earliest they had available. With the way the office was booked, the next available day would be next week or even the week after that. That wouldn’t work for her; she was dying to know how the baby was doing.

"Do you have a number for any taxis services?" she asked. Taxis would be more expensive than the bus but it was the only option she had left; she hoped next time she would know the bus route instead of getting her hopes up on Ash.

 Gladys nodded "Yes I do" she opened one of the drawer then pulled out a card. "Here" she handed Emily a business card for a taxi service. "Thanks". She took the card then walked to the phone on the wall. Before she could dial the number, she realized she didn’t know the address to Ash’s place.

"Um glad, can you give the address to this place?" Gladys walked over handing her one of the unopened mail. Emily thanked her again then called a taxi.

*****************

She got to her appointment way too early but it benefitted her. She filled out the required paperwork since she was a new patient. They called her to the back at 10:45 where she met her new OBGYN, Dr. Johnson. She loved her immediately; she was so sweet. They weighed her, gave her some awful drink then took her blood after an hour. Dr. Johnson performed a cervix exam then she checked on the baby with the ultrasound. She confirmed her due date to be Oct. 30 then measured the baby. She assured Emily the baby was growing perfectly, then printed out some pictures Emily had requested. She wanted to show them to Ash, maybe he would change his attitude when he saw the adorable peanut. Emily was relieved the baby was doing fine; she was a little scared after the whole episode of her being dehydrated and exhausted but thank God none of that affected the baby. When she was done with Dr, Johnson, she checked out then made another appointment for the next visit. She didn't have to pay any co-pay since Ash had amazing insurance; one of the pecks of having a great job.  She called the same taxi to come pick her up when she was done with the office. The taxi came thirty minutes later as promised. Her phone rang on her way home; she looked at the phone then smiled at the name displayed on the screen. It had been too long.