Chapter 39

We tried to get rid of many as we could as they ran while others stayed behind to finish the fight. Most of their fallen were lower ranks and as their numbers dwindled the higher ranks tucked tail and ran. Cowards!

Of course they would let someone else do their dirty work. A Upper ranked wolf decided he would be brave enough to fight while its comrades ran to lick their wounds. It growled low and raised its hackles before jumping towards me. I quickly twisted out of the way and grabbed its tail moving him between my legs.

I clamped my legs around its ribs as hard as I could and heard his ribs crack under the pressure. He swung his head to get a bite in where he could but failed due to the position he was in.

I tried grabbing his head but from all the shaking failed to do so. I resorted to a hard knock in the head to disorient him long enough to grab him by his muzzle. I wrapped my hand around his jaws from the inside and started to pull his jaws apart. He caught on in a matter of seconds and tried to close his jaws on my hands causing his teeth to slowly and painfully rip into my flesh.

His legs kicked on the ground to buck me off him but his attempts to get me off was in vain. It was me or him and I did not feel like dying for the umpteenth time! My muscles strained as if they wanted to rip apart. The amount of strength we both used had us evenly matched for a moment but his will to resist the pain was weaning.

If this wasn't life or death I would have given into the excruciating pain my arms were yelling at me. I had gone through a lot more pain than I was currently in. I knew what more pain could do and was glad for the experience I had. It gave me the strength to keep going knowing it could be worse. Compared with the fact that this was life or death I had the upper hand.

Inch by inch his jaw started to move apart at the execs force I put in. I let out a grunt putting everything I have in it before I felt him give up and his jaws come apart. Blood sprayed out on the floor and quickly formed a puddle. His lower jaw had detached and his upper jaw splintered sending bone shards to his brain.

I let go of him and he dropped to the ground. I was breathing heavily and my arms were shacking from the effort. The relief of surviving yet another attack filled me and I closed my eyes for a brief second. The lack of noise brought me to look around and I found the battle was over.
I scanned through the area to look at what had happened tonight. All this for one guy that thinks he was in the right to rule this world. It made me angry giving me new fuel for the next fight to come but that new energy quickly vanished as a single tear slipped down my cheek for every person with a good heart that was lost tonight.

Not a single person that was forced to be here deserved any of this. I quickly patched the crack in my wall before I started balling. There was a time and place for everything and right now I needed a strong head on my shoulders. I scanned the horrific sight in front of me a moment longer and my eyes locked on Tyler who was looking straight at me. I quickly scanned him to make sure he was okay and found him doing the same when our eyes met again.

Pride for me flashed through his eyes before he had his signature mask on his face but I also knew he felt the loss off everyone here tonight. We both gave each other a nod before we found ourselves in each other's embrace. I haven't even realized that I had ran straight in to his arms. I was happy that it ended but the war was far from over. There were going to be more battles and more lives lost.

We were about to give instructions on what to do when a howl rang out. It wasn't a normal howl it was something crossed between a howl and a growl and it send goosebumps over my body. Something in its sound held a promise. Everyone seemed to pause and an eerie feeling rolled over us. Whispers drifted throughout the field on what that was and what to do.