Never letting go

Happiness. To be happy. Yes they're right when they say it's free but it does not come easy. I for one, am never happy. I'm never satisfied, there's always something else I want. Something else I need. Happiness is a drug that we work so damn hard to get but only lasts for a few minutes.

My summer has been amazing. I finally fell in love with my dream guy, the hotty that every girl wants but he chose me. The bratty kid from town. My mother was shocked when I told her. She said something along the lines of "You mean someone actually wants to date you". Yeah mom, I'm not a loser. My friends where in even more shock than my mother. The girl who could never keep her pants on, was now finally dating someone. And let me repeat, I am happy. That is until I wake up tomorrow morning to have to attend my first day of my final year in school and my boyfriend will be starting college soon.

So I'm actually not happy, I'm pissed.
Life is perfect right now.

"Hayley, hello, you still there". I snapped out of my thoughts and stared at the phone in my hand. Oops I zoned out again.

"Sorry, Rob", I apologized to my older brother over the phone and I heard him sigh in reply. "I better go, call me during the week". I quickly hung up and placed my phone on my locker and lay back on my bed.

There was a soft knock on my door. "What?" I snapped, just wanting to close my eyes for five minutes.

"Calm down, its only me". I sat up as a wide grin spread across my face. I leapt from my bed and jumped into my boyfriends arms.

"Luke, babe, I missed you", I squealed as he hugged me tight. "I really freaking missed you".

"I missed you too baby", he chuckled and let go of me.

I sat on my bed and he plopped down beside me. "So how was Greece?" I asked. He had been on holidays in Greece for the past week with his family. His final holiday before he heads of to college. College. The word we had been avoiding all summer. It made my heart wrench to even think about it. And I'm being gross.

"Amazing. I swear we have to go there some day. Just you and me", he smiled as he showed me some photos he had snapped during his holiday.

"That would be nice", I agreed, my eyes suddenly interested on a stain on the carpet of my bedroom floor. He lifted my chin up to meet his eyes and gave me a concerned look. "Should we talk about it?" I asked and suddenly his eyes weren't meeting mine.

"Baby, I'd really rather not", he sighed. "But...... we probably should. I know it's gonna suck and I won't be only down the street but we'll make it work. We always do", he shrugged and I bit my lip. That wasn't the problem.

"Yeah I know", I mumbled as his hand clasped together with mine. "But how do I know you won't find someone better. Someone more like you. Someone who doesn't get pissed off easily or try to piss you off. Someone who's not me".

Luke rolled his eyes and lay back on my bed. "Hayley do you really think I would've asked you to be my girlfriend if I believed there was someone else out there for me?"

"Well there could be. No one said we're going to be together forever". He glared at me. "Okay Sorry, lets just enjoy our final moments together", I apologized, and lay my head to rest on his chest. His fingers played with my blond soft curls as mine ran through his dark brown hair.

"Hey these are not our final moments together and I'm not leaving until next week. Would you like a ride to school tomorrow instead of taking the bus?" He asked as he turned onto his side. "You're so fucking beautiful", he whispered under his breath and I tried to keep a stupid grin form spreading over my face .

"Only if you don't mind dropping my little sister off too", I explained and he nodded his head in agreement.

"Now let's go do something fun before you have to go back to school", he suggested and I shrugged my shoulder.

"Imma stay here", I mumbled but he shook my shoulder gently.

"Let's go".

***

As we walked into the diner I spotted our group of friends.

"Hey guys", I giggled as we approached them and Luke finally removed his hand from my back pocket. He thought it was cute, I thought it was weird.

Charles moved over and I took a seat beside him. "Hey", he whispered in my ear and I glared at him.

"You know I hate that", I shuddered and he chuckled to himself.

"You're such a dork". I stuck my tongue out at him and moved my attention to the rest of my friends sitting around the table.

"Emerson, you all ready for tomorrow?" I asked and Charles continued to try and annoy me. "Charles please quit it. Your like an annoying younger brother."

"Stop pissing my girl off", Luke hissed at him and flashed me a cute grin.

"Weirdo", I mumbled but he heard me and rolled his eyes. I quickly glanced down as he began to walk away.

"Hayley", Amber my closest friend sighed as she tucked her short brown hair behind her ears, her striking green eyes stared into my soul.

"What? I was only joking", I groaned but got up anyway and followed my boyfriend over to the counter where he had just ordered his food.

"I got you a chocolate milkshake, is that okay?" He asked when I reached him.

"Thank you", I pouted and hugged him from behind. "Sorry for being a bitch".

"Don't worry I'm used to it", he turned around and winked at me. We walked back over to our friends and took our seats beside them.

"Hayley you all ready for school tomorrow?" Amber groaned and I shook my head.

"No, this summer went by way too fast", I sighed and glanced quickly at Luke who was staring at his hands. He hated how quickly it went as much as I did.

"So what're you guys going to do?" Lily asked, her big brown eyes glued to my boyfriend. I hated her. I honestly hated how much she flirted with my boyfriend, even when I was around.

"About what?" I asked sweetly and nudged Luke in the side to get his attention.

"What're you guys going to with Luke being in college and you're still stuck in high school?" She asked and I rolled my eyes. She still believed she was a better fit for him then I was, even though they did briefly date in the past and nothing came from that, she was still hung up on him. Throwing herself at him any chance she got. Some people are just desperate.

"We're going to be fine", he snapped and I closed my eyes softly. Talking about this pissed him off so much.

"Are you sure Luke? Because when I look at you guys together I don't see it working out in the long term. You're going to go to college and bump into probably a shy little freshman, who only has eyes for you. You're going to realize that maybe Hayley isn't the one, while Hayley's at school flirting with her 'guy friends'", Lily stated and Luke glared at her.

"Shut it", he snapped. "Jealousy gets you no where".

"Okay every one calm the fuck down", Amber sighed. "It's our last day of summer and before you know it Lily and Luke will be gone off to college. So if you guys could please be civil for the next twenty mins that would be nice".

Soon everyone was laughing and talking about all the best parts about summer. Luke caught my hand at one point and never let it go.

A:n// If anyone is reading this right now. Hi 👋