Chapter twenty

Zendaya’s P.O.V.           

We walked outside the dressing room. Jay was about to lock the door when I realized something. “NOOO, WAIT, HOLD UP, I FORGOT SOMETHING,” I yelled as I turned around and bumped into Trevor. “Sorry hun,” I said as I pecked his cheek and then found my way past Trevor and Jay and ran into the dressing room again. I ran towards the freezer, opened it, grabbed my Häagen-Dazs and walked in circles in the room to make sure I didn’t forget anything else. “Hurry Z,” Bey said. “Coming,” I replied walking towards the door. Once Jay locked the door he embraced Beyoncé. My left hand held my Häagen-Dazs and my right hand held Trevor’s hand. We walked towards Bey’s tour bus with Blue walking in front of us.

“Do you have a spoon?” I asked Beyoncé politely. Blue understood what I asked and walked towards the kitchen of the bus and got me a spoon. “Thanks Blue Blue,” I smiled as I patted her head. “Daya,” she replied with a smile. “Sit down,” Beyoncé said as she and Jay entered the bus. She patted on the couch, right next to her. Trevor and I sat down. “So, when do rehearsals start?” I asked Beyoncé. “Well, me and my dancers rehearse tomorrow, but if you and Trevor like attending that, that would be nice. We need to decide which of the dances you will be performing with us,” she replied with a smile. “I definitely think we should put you in Girls (1), since I’ve seen you dance to it already,” she added. I smiled at her comment. “So would the two of you like to come during rehearsals tomorrow?” Beyoncé asked as I had put a spoon of my Häagen-Dazs in my mouth. I looked at Trevor for a second and then I looked at Beyoncé again. “We would love to,” I answered. “Great,” Beyoncé half screamed through the tour bus.

I started looking around, wondering where Trevor and I would sleep, since we will be driving all night. “Where will Trevor and I…” I asked Beyoncé not finishing the sentence. “You mean sleep?” Bey asked. I nodded. “Well, we have two master-bedrooms. One is for us,” she said as she pointed at Jay and then back at herself. “The two of you can sleep in the second master-bedroom if you want to. For the dancers and for the band we have plenty of solo cabins, which you can also sleep in separately. But I prefer the master-bedroom, I guess that will be your choice as well,” she continued.

Trevor and I laid on the bed, as we had changed already. I wore some clothes from the Beyoncé Merchandise as pajama and Trevor decided just to wear his drawers. I couldn’t resist keeping my eyes off his amazing six pack. Trevor noticed me staring as he started to smirk at me. “I look amazing, don’t I?” Trevor asked smirking harder than he already did. “Huh?” I said snapping out of my zone. “I take that as a yes,” Trevor said laughing while he put his arms around my waist to give me a deep kiss. “I love you,” I whispered as we parted. I fell back on the bed and I was fast asleep.

---

When Beyoncé, Trevor, Ashley and I walked into rehearsal, everybody stared at us. I felt my head heat up. “Alright, everybody, please welcome new member of the Mrs. Carter Show dance crew, Zendaya,” choreographer Frank Gatson said to the other members. I expected some hi’s but no one talked and everyone looked at me like I just told a joke that was not funny at all, which made my face even more red. “Ooooo-kay,” Frank continued. “Let’s start with a warming up,” he continued as he put on ‘Move Your Body’(2). Beyoncé quietly pointed to the chairs for Trevor and I to sit on. After the workout the crew stretched, started with the intro and then continued with Girls (1). “Hey, I gotta use the bathroom,” Trevor whispered in my ear. I nodded as response. When the girls finished with Girls (1), Dnay, one of the dancers, passed me by with an arrogant look. “You really think you can be dancing with us? We’re so much better than you are. And if your face turns like a tomato when you’re standing just in front of us, what will you look like when you’re on the stage, in front of thousands of people?” she said with an attitude and then walked away like nothing happened.

I ignored the thoughts I just made about Dnay and continued watching the dances. Trevor came back and didn’t seem to notice what just happened…phew. “Which song do you know the dance to?” Frank asked me. “Uhh, Run the World, sir,” I said when everybody laughed at me. “We just finished that dance, baby girl,” he said making fun of me. Wow, why is everybody so harsh against me? It didn’t happen yesterday, or back in LA. “Another song?” he asked waiting on me. “Diva?” I asked quietly. “Okay, then join us when we start with Diva,” he demanded. “Okay,” I whispered. “What did you say?” he smirked. “Okay,” I said a bit louder. “Excuse me?” “Yes, sir.”

When Diva came on I jumped up and stood behind all of the dancers. Frank stopped the song. “No no no, Zendaya. If you say you know the dance to this song than you should dance to it,” he said making me confused. “Well, I was about-” I tried to say but Frank cut me off. “…by yourself, in front of the other dancers.” My heart started pumping really fast, but if this was what I had to do to join the Mrs. Carter Show dance crew, then I would’ve done it.

Gatson started Diva and my body started dancing. It went really well. But then I saw Dnay walking up to me, which made me nervous. “Look at that,” she said pointing behind me. I turned around during the dance and I fell. That’s when everybody started laughing and I jumped up and ran away.

---

NOTES!

(1) = Beyoncé often uses nicknames for songs. For example, she simply calls ‘If I Were A Boy’ just ‘Boy’ and she calls ‘Crazy/Drunk In Love’, ‘Crazy’ and ‘Drunk’. With ‘Girls’ she means ‘Run The World (Girls)’.
(2) = ‘Move Your Body’ is a workout song Beyoncé did in 2011, based on Beyoncé’s ‘Get Me Bodied’ for Michelle Obama’s campaign ‘Let’s Move!’