Chapter Six: Mike and Ike (and Les) Mean Double - scratch that- Triple Trouble

The basement was the perfect place to summon a demon. Huge, unfinished, and empty, there was plenty of space for the rituals to take place. And no one ever went down there, especially David. Oh, how the twins took advantage of this.

There was a nine-foot pentagram drawn out on the floor using the blood of all of the innocent Newsies -- the twins weren't looking to kill anyone to perform the ritual, but they wanted to do it right. So virgin blood had to be spilled -- they were lucky so many of the Newsies had rotten luck with girls (and boys and nonbinary folks). The black candles placed at the points of the pentagram provided minimal light to the basement altogether, but they cast a spooky glow around the ritual area and it allowed Mike and Ike to get work done.

The ritual itself wasn't too difficult once the twins perfected their technique -- and fixed the pentagram multiple times. Between summonings, the three would play with the Wega -no- Weegi -no- Oiji -no- Ojo -no- Ooija -no- Oija-no- Oujij-no- Ouijs-no- Oueja-no- Wija-no- Ouijo-no- Weegee-no- Weggy-no- Wiggy-no- Quiche-no- Wa weg-no- Luigi-no- Quija-no- Weeger -no-Wedgie -no-Ouija (-yes!-)  Board that they acquired from their local vegan witch. This proved to be a mistake on their part, because Finch and Romeo (once David allowed him back into the house) decided to sneak into the basement and mess with the fuse box, effectively making the twins think they summoned something and completely freak out. They ran up the stairs as fast as they could, immediately running to David.

"Dave!"

"Dave help us!"

"We decided to summon a demon -"

"- but it wasn't working -"

"- so we figured we'd play with the Ouija Board -"
"- and we didn't think it would do anything -"

"- but then the lights started flickering -"

"- and we're kinda scared that we really summoned something -"

"- and we don't know what to do."

"DAVID HELP!" Alternating back and forth (Mike starting, of course), the two finished their rambling with the combined screech for David's help. David was stunned into silence, shocked that they could speak so rapidly while switching between who was talking at what time. But that wasn't the only thing that had David Jacobs in shock.

"Hold on. Just, let me get this straight. You two, are trying to summon a demon?" The twins just looked at each other before nodding at David, straight faces adorning their countenances. "Why on Earth were you just trying to summon a demon?" The exasperated tone in his voice was a dead giveaway that David wasn't planning on trying to stop the twins. So Mike and Ike just looked at each other before smirking and laughing evilly whilst pulling the hoods of their black robes up over their heads and slowly retreating to the basement. Les looked on in shock before turning to Davey, begging for a black robe of his own to match the twins. Once David left the house in defeat to go searching for a robe for his little brother, Les started his new mission: trying to convince everyone to reconstruct and move the fort into the basement so that they can summon a demon roommate and convert it to the Fort Lifestyle™. Les's new idea made Spot even more terrified, and the Brooklynite slowly came out of his corner to retrieve cushions in order to better barricade himself there.

Because despite his rough exterior, the toughest of all Newsies was not a fan of demons. Or giant rats.

A/N (woah!): Props to you if you understand the Ouija Board reference. All of that (and the word 'Double' in the title) were supposed to be strikethrough, but I had to improvise - AB