Chapter 17

* Second attempt at writing this chapter ~ There are so many plotholes in my earlier writing that I wish I could travel back in time and strangle myself. Anyway, we got to finish this Soulbending book so that I can start a decent TLOK one. Now, on with the show!*  

"Airon!" Rei called out, watching Airon pounce at her brother with such a force that he was thrown through the wall. Airon stopped his charge, watching as Dai stumbled to get back to his feet but soon his knees buckled underneath him and he fell into the gravel.

Airon stood with his head high and his proudness full on display. The fur beneath his head was long and resembled a lion's mane, shining a gentle white glow as his strong muscles complemented him splendidly. His antlers stood high, much higher than Rei could remember it had been. They struck out like branches, appearing as if nature had placed a crown on him. His blue eyes were shining, glowing even, pulsating the same gentle light the gem on his forehead was emitting.

"Airon..." Rei muttered, the mighty stag turning his head to look at her. With his eyes glowing, Rei could see no pupil and her body tensed. He looked so... powerful.

How is that possible, considering the actions leading up to their capture?

"You look different," she muttered in a small voice, desperate for answers.

"Speak for yourself," he said in a gentle voice, nodding his head towards her. It only confused her more.

"So you're Airon?" he snapped his head back to Dai, seeing the captain on his feet and ready for more. Blood seeped through his clothes, and his burned face made him unrecognizable. The laugh that accompanied his words made him all the more insane looking. He was too far-gone.

"Of course my disgusting sister would be into stuff like that," striking his hand out, orange lightning was released and headed straight towards Airon. The spirit, however, easily dodged and lowered his head as he readied himself to pounce. Suddenly, bright flames engulfed his antlers, his coloured soul-flame licking at the surface. Dai's eyes widened at this, as did Rei's.

It seemed familiar to her somehow.

Airon ran at Dai, but his movements were much faster than ever before. Rei released a breath in shock as Airon's fiery antlers met with Dai's form, successfully throwing himself into the air with flames licking at his body. Dai landed on the other side of the room, this time falling unconscious.

It was over.

"Rei!" Airon immediately turned and ran at her, not sparing Dai a second glance. He bend his neck before Rei, allowing her to tumble onto his head as he gently helped her onto her feet.

"Airon, what was that? Where did that come from? How...?"

"I'll explain everything later, but right now, we need to get out of here," he threw his head back, Rei flying onto his back. She was too exhausted to even lift a finger, instead laying slumped over his back. He began running, turning them intangible in the process and flew straight through the roof.

"But how?"

"Shh. It finally makes sense to me, but I'm afraid, it might take you a bit longer," Airon said, immediately heading back to camp, the two already forgetting about Sokka and Zuko whom they had originally followed there.

"Why?" Rei asked, fatigue seeping into her words.

"Because I know how I feel,"

"About?"

"You," he sounded to certain, so determined and so... strong. Whatever lonesome quest he had been on while Rei was confronted by Dai and the hours spent in that cell, reminiscing in the days their family had been whole, Airon had changed.