Chapter 14

Stepping out into the hall, Rei took another mountain peach and took a bite of it. She threw one into the air and Airon skilfully caught it in his mouth.

"You really were involved with Aang after all." A voice suddenly said and Rei turned around in surprise to see Zuko. She calmed her shock and nodded.

"And now you are to. Ironic." Zuko didn't respond.

"I'm sorry." He apologized, causing her to frown.

"For what?"

"For yesterday. Bringing you into my battle. Because of me your loyalty is being questioned." He explained. Rei sighed.

"Look, you weren't the only domino pushed to cause the rest toppling down. Other factors lead them to question me. My heritage. Aron and Nayla. The books I stole form the library. It isn't directly your fault so don't feel bad. Besides, it isn't my trust you need to get at this moment. It's Aang and the rest of the team." She spoke and he lowered his head slightly. Rei didn't wait around for him to say anything else and left. She was irritated, and she didn't know why. She understood the feelings of the others and yet felt as if it could go both ways. They never told her their stories. She didn't even know who or what each of them were. She just went along with them.

"I know that look," Rei sighed. She didn't know what to do now. She had to protect her siblings but she also had to concentrate on her soulbending properties. "Let's go out for a while." She didn't need to be told twice before hopping onto his back. She clenched tightly onto his bare back, and Airon smiled sadly at the girl. With galloping hooves, he exited the walls and into the clearing outside. There, Sokka and Aang were debating silently and looked up when they heard the galloping. Rei's head was down and buried into Airon's main, blocking out their disapproval and questioning of her leaving. Airon leapt off of the temple, and soared through the sky.

They remained still for a while, with Rei burying herself into his soft fur. She thought a lot, and began realizing that now that she had her family with her, it would be too hard to just pack up and leave again.

"We have to train this new power," she stated. Airon bowed his head in affirmation. "But we also have to get to the portals and release the spirits," he didn't immediately respond.

"Do you think the world would accept the spirits after so long?" he questioned in thought.

"We have me, and the Avatar. We can fix the bond," she muttered silently.

"Do you think Aang trusts you enough?" she stayed silent at this. For quite the while, they soared around aimlessly.

"Put us down in a clearing," she only said after a while. Airon searched for one throughout the forest and settled them down. Rei hopped off of his back and stretched her limbs. "I want to try and channel the bond-sense," Airon peered at her curiously before setting himself down. Both of their gems materialized onto their foreheads as Rei went to sit in a meditation position in front of Airon.

"What do you propose?" she thought for a second before moving closer to him. She reached up and took his large head into her hands, and pressed her forehead against his. Their gems touched against each other and both entities closed their eyes. Both channelled their spiritual energy into their gems, and soon found themselves feeling quite faint. Airon was the first to pass, his heavy head heaving onto Rei's lap as his breathing slowed. Rei's eyes fluttered before her body went numb and she sprawled on top of him.