Chapter 8

Having collapsed in one of the trees the previous night, Rei woke up with back pains. Rei had woken up bended over one of the large branches, her arms and legs dangling. She stood up and stretched, her back aching at the action. She looked down at the various size vines, only then realizing that they had made it all the way from Ba Sing Se to the Swamp in a single day. We made progress, indeed. She yawned and took out their two last apples. We definitely need more food... as well as baggage space, Rei thought, looking at her practically stuffed bag. She started to eat one of the apples and poked Airon in his side. He was in practically the same position Rei had been, legs and arms dangling off the branches, except Rei had been on her back while Airon was on his stomach. She chuckled at the disapproving sounds he made as he reluctantly opened his eyes. Someday she was a morning person, and sometimes he was. He shook his head and tried to stand on the branch. However, having four legs, it proved a little difficult. He placed his two front hooves down and tried to lift himself, only to slide down the branch and tumble down into the spaghetti vines. He was suspended mid-air, his entire body and antlers entangled by the vines. He was too tired to care, however. 

"You know what, this is actually comfortable. I'm staying right here," Airon spoke, closing his eyes and relaxing. Rei rolled her eyes and jumped down from the branch, catching one of the wines. She slid down it towards Airon where she helped untangle him. As she got the last vine off of him, he fell into the swamp waters. "Ugh!" He yelled out, annoyed. Rei chuckled and jumped into the water, Airon slowly rising to his feet.

"Here," Rei said, throwing the apple at him. He caught it in his mouth. "That's the last of our food. Let's see if there's anything edible here in the swamp." Airon nodded and they started to walk through the swamp. Not long after, a thick mist appeared.

"Hey, I don't like this. Maybe we should-." Rei frowned and stopped, turning to Airon who abruptly stopped. Her eyes went wide as she no longer saw him.

"Airon? Airon!" She yelled out, running through the mist in search of him. Oh no, she realized, he's gone. She ran through the mist, hoping to find him. Tears started to well up in her eyes.

"Don't lose him." A familiar yet unknown voice suddenly sounded, as if form all directions. Rei halted.

"Who's there?" She asked, gritting her teeth. Suddenly through the mist, a figure appeared. The figure stepped through the mist, until Rei could see her. It was a girl. She wore a strange kind of dress that reached her mid-thigh. It had black and purple shoulders, a purple chest, a black middle and purple the rest, a thick orange stripe running down from the chest. She wore brown boots that reached her mid-calf, orange and black stripes at the top. She wore black finger-less with orange gems at the back of the hand. Her eyes were a shining purple colour. Her hair was pure white and boyish short, one half standing up in an almost horn-type of hair and the other side was down over her right eye. On her forehead was an incredibly large white-blue gem that reached over her head. The gem was connected to a sort of golden headband with purple gems on it. On her back was a white staff, its head consisting of white-blue type of wings and a purple and orange gem.

Rei frowned at her. She certainly looks mysterious.

"Who are you?" The strange girl closed her eyes. Rei frowned. "Your colours... Are you from the Soul Caverns? Are you a soulbender?" The gem on the girl's head suddenly glowed a bright white. She opened her eyes; they were now glowing white as well.

"I told you... don't lose him!" The girl's face showed off anger as she yelled. Her body glowed white before dispersing into the fog. Rei hesitated before clenching her fists. Don't lose him... don't lose him! Rei turned and ran into the fog, in search of her best friend.