Chapter 9

Little filler chapter

~~~~

Reaching Whaletail Island, music entered the duo's ears.

"What the-?" Rei asked, surprised.

"Must be a festival," Airon guessed. He chuckled as he saw a smile spread to Rei's face. "You ever been to one?" Rei blinked and looked down at him.

"Well, the Fire Nation once held a festival in honour of getting rid of all the waterbenders from the Southern Tribe." Her face scrunched up in disgust.

"Doesn't sound enjoyable." Airon commented.

"It wasn't." Airon nodded and flew down to the shore where they landed. On landing, a man wearing a purple suit ran up to her, completely unfazed by the fact that deer fly.

"Ah, a traveller! You have come on an especially, spectacular day! Today is the annual festival we hold each year in honour of the village's founding father, Govn!" The guy spoke fast, giving her a pamphlet before moving on to a ship that docked. Rei examined the pamphlet, causing Airon to smirk. He nudged her forward. She yelped and fell into the sand. She sat up and stared at him with a glare. He laughed and helped her to her feet, nudging her hair before letting her go. They reached the marble stairs and started to climb up. Reaching the top, their eardrums started to pound at the loud music.

"Wow." Airon commented, seeing the massive town made out of marble. Light reflected off it, blinding her at first glance. Streamers, singing, floats and decorations filled their vision. Feast tables stood all around, extraordinary looking food on top of them.

"This can't be... real." Rei commented. Airon nodded.

"Agreed, but... it's free food." Rei laughed and nodded.

"Yeah. So how about we... party for about an hour, and then find a job?" Airon nodded enthusiastically before sprinting into the crowd. "Hey wait!" She yelled quickly and ran after him, not wanting to lose him. She quickly caught up and grabbed his tail, causing him to yelp and jump around, preparing his antlers to strike. Rei laughed and patted his anger filled face. "I'm thinking of getting you a leash. A nice pink one; what do you think?" Airon dropped his head and stood up straight.

"Uh, yeah, no." He nudged her forward and they both started to move through the crowd, every second person stopping to stare at Airon before turning back to the parade. They made it to the feast tables where Airon immediately stuffed his entire face in a salad bowl. Rei chuckled at all the stares of disbelief. Rei elbowed him in the side.

"Don't stuff your face like that. It's rude." Airon chuckled and just went back to eating. Rei found a bowl of strange, pink looking fruit. She tried one and immediately loved it. She took out her backpack and stuffed the remaining space with the fruit, making sure no one watched. Airon laughed at her and finished his bowl before trying one of the fruit. After stuffing themselves full, they turned to the parade. A float of Aang passed and the two frowned. She quickly ran over to someone in the crowd and poked him.

"Ah? Can I help you?" She pointed to the float.

"Who's that?"

"Oh that's Avatar Aang. We decided to put him in the parade this year because it hopefully means the war will end. This is the first time in a hundred years that this festival has been so lively." Rei blinked in surprise and thought back to what that Kyoshi Warrior told her. Aang's bringing hope to the world. She smiled and thanked him, moving back.

"That's the Avatar for you." Rei nodded, agreeing.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no!" They heard calling. They turned to see a big woman, running around frantically. She wore a bright dress with a lot of pearls around her neck and a lot of makeup. Rei and Airon looked to each other before rushing over.