Chapter 16

*Note: It's been a long time since I've returned to this story. If there are any conflicting matters from what happened in previous chapters, please let me know. *

Dai had become frightening, but he was conflicting with himself. He wanted to punish his sister for leaving them, for causing so much pain to the family and dishonouring them. After she had left, the royal family cast them out for long times before Dai could prove them worthy again. It had set his plans back by too long. But, at the same time, he wanted to take her into his arms and apologize for everything. She might have explained to him what had happened to her, how she became a soulbender and found herself going up against the world; but there was something else. When she tried to explain to him why she had to leave them and why she couldn't come back, she almost cracked up at places. Tales in her story where she remembered the pain others had gone though. The Aang gang, Aron, Nayla, the deer family, Airon... Why was it always Airon?

But Dai had long ago stopped caring about others' hardships and just stared at her through cold eyes. Who was this man? This was not her brother? How long was he here; had he this position to turn him into such a gargoyle?

"Reiko," he gently let go of her wrists and turned around to stare at his hands in wonderment. Was this her brother now?

"Dai, you've... changed," he only nodded, before returning his vision to his. Now his eyes were straight and revealing. This was not her brother. Not how she remembered. He changed; too much.

"You ruined me. I could've been a general at a palace. But now... I'm stuck here, looking out after worthless pieces of maggot skin. Because of you!" his fist caught on fire and he swung it towards her, but it never landed. So close to her face, she could almost feel her skin burning. She tried to keep a straight face, her confidence wavering. "But you're my sister..." his eyes cast from side to side, his figure slowly retreating. His eyes locked on her, confliction evident within him. He slowly stepped back, before swinging around and exiting the room. He gave orders to the guards outside, before viciously slamming the door shut. Guess that decided where his loyalties laid.

Rei could only be happy that she wasn't chained anymore. She arose from the chair, slowly, her eyes fixated on the door as if Dai might burst back in with her death order. She stood on guard for a couple of calming breaths before finally moving about. She stretched her limbs out, especially her mistreated wrists she rolled around. Her feet paced around on their own, but her mind was at other places.

Her brother. Her eldest brother she held such precious thoughts for throughout the years. In a few simple sentences, all of that was shattered. It was because of her. Her brothers suffered because of her, but never would she have thought for it to be so bad. Her idiotic decisions when she was a child had caused so, so much pain. To everyone. Her parents lost their first daughter; a massive blow to their nobility status. Aron was injured because of her inconsiderate decision to prove herself. Nayla grew up hearing about her yet never had the older sister she needed. And Dai... Even Dai. He lost the standing he had and was demoted. Even he suffered. He lost his sister. He lost himself.

Rei's fists pounded against the stone prison, the pain not even noticeable as the blood covered her knuckles. Tears flowed freely as years and years of pent up emotions and sorrows, everything she hid for the sake of mastery, duty and pride; suddenly flowed down to greet her. Her family. They were precious to her. She loved them and wanted to care for them in every way possible, to try and restore the damage she created. But even through all of that, there was something that nagged at her insides even more.

Airon... what was happening to him?

When the riot broke out, Rei knew immediately. The fights were too loud to ignore and instead she forced herself onto her legs. Her mind was still clouded, her cheeks stained by tears like oil in a white shirt. She headed to the door, peaking through the bars to the guards outside her door; except, they were not there. They had headed off to assist the fight against the prisoners, leaving her to her lonesome. She took a step back and without even concentrating too much on her actions, struck a large orange fireball laced with spiritual energy at the door. Not meant to take such abuse, the door flew off its hinges and knocked out a passing prisoner. Rei exited and assessed the riot taking place: not one person excluded from a type of battle.