Chapter 11

"We passed over the Black Cliffs about an hour ago, so we should be approaching the Fire Nation Capital's beaches soon." Airon nodded.

"And unlike Fire Fountain City, here they watch the skies and sees like a hawk searching for prey." Rei hummed.

"Maybe it'll be easier to move in from the land, from Black Cliff's land." Airon nodded, agreeing.

"I'll move over to land then," Airon changed his direction slightly and headed towards the shadow of a land they had been flying next to. "How far into the Capital did you live?"

"Well right next to the forest, obviously. Hey, we should go see how your family is doing!" Airon laughed.

"Yeah, I would love to see how those little siblings of mine turned out to be. Or how many stayed behind." Rei nodded.

"Yeah." They reached the land and flew over continued in the direction towards the Capital. Rei thought ahead, thinking of how their next few days will possibly play out. She suddenly frowned.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just... I don't I'll be able to fly under the radar with a large gem on my forehead, and it doesn't seem to be able to come off." Airon chuckled.

"I have an idea. We'll try it once we land," Rei nodded. "So...any idea about our new abilities?" She scoffed.

"Not a clue. He said it will come unexpectedly, which I'm not looking forward to. Remember the very first time I soulbended?" Airon nodded sadly.

"Yeah..." Rei sighed.

"I'm actually a little afraid about all this. About the new powers, our bond, my family, your family, the war..." Airon lowered his head slightly and stayed silent. His thoughts were jumbled and confused as well, yet he didn't show it. Spirits aren't benders; that's why he was so confused when Master Bernings's had said that he too will have power.

"You know, I don't know what's going to happen, but if there's one thing that'll be for certain is that we'll be doing it together. I promise to never leave your side." Rei smiled to herself.

"Thank you." She whispered. Continuing to travel, both kept their thoughts to themselves, leaving them in a comfortable silence. Not long after, they saw the border to Capital Island. It wasn't heavily guarded, since what sort of spy would enter through the borders? Airon went down and landed in a forest.

"So what did you have in mind?" Rei asked, jumping off. He nodded. He moved over towards Rei and lowered his head. He kissed the gem before moving away. Rei frowned. The gem suddenly glimmered before vanishing. Her eyes widened.

"I was right. Just like how I can dematerialize the bags on my back, I can now dematerialize objects not physically on me." Rei nodded, understanding.

"This must have something to do with our new power." He nodded, agreeing.

"Now then." Airon dematerialized before they started towards the border. Surprisingly, they let her through just like that.

"Must be our lucky day." Rei mused.

"Or maybe all of the proper guards are posted somewhere else," Rei nodded. Not long after, they came by a small town near the border. "So where's the Royal Caldera City?"

"It's near the coast, where we were heading to before. Besides this one, there's another town before we reach it. But you'll know it when you see it. It's inside a volcano after all." Airon frowned before his eyes went wide.

"Are you saying that the volcano... the Royal Caldera City is inside it?!" Rei laughed at his shocked face, causing people to turn to her. Well since Airon was invisible to their eyes, it was as if Rei was talking to herself before suddenly laughing out loud. "Will we be stopping in this village?" Rei shook her head slowly.