Chapter 4

Pain erupted throughout the seven year old's body. A silent scream escaped from her lips as she fell to the concrete. Her back felt on fire, and as she turned her head to look at it, she realized that was the case. She buried her face into the concrete, the pain unbearable. Not too far away, a ten year old boy stood and stared at his sister, regret filled his face. He ran over and dropped at her side. He tried to reach for her but she moved away at his touch.

"Rei, I'm ... I'm so sorry..." He tried to apologize. She flinched at his words and tried to raise herself up using her arms, only for them to give out and tumble back down to the ground. Tears filled her eyes. Her body began to feel numb as her brother lifted her up on to his back. The scenery began to blur around Rei as her brother ran frantically towards their house. Not long after, darkness took over.

Regaining consciousness, Rei realized she was in quite a funny position. She woke up with her face in the pillow, her stomach on the bed. She propped onto her elbows and raised herself up. As she did so, pain erupted through her and she fell just back down. She tilted her head back to see her entire back covered in bandages. She wanted to cry. It was all her fault. She wanted to prove to her older brother, Aron, that she was what everyone hoped to be. A firebender. She challenged him to an Agni Kai and he teasingly expected. Never did he think that his flames would go out of control in the middle of the fake battle.

Rei buried her face into the pillow. Not long after, voices sounded form the hall.

"This is all your fault, Aron! You know she's not a firebender!" She heard the familiar voice of her father.

"I'm sorry; I thought I had it under control! I wasn't planning on doing anything! I just wanted her to realize how dangerous Agni Kai's were so that she would never put herself in such a situation again! I'm sorry, father." Aron apologized. There was a long pause and Rei wondered if they had moved on.

"You shouldn't have accepted, even as a joke. She is your sister, and furthermore a nonbender. Even if she was the one who proposed it, an Agni Kai against anyone who is not a firebender is strictly prohibited! As her older brother, you should have protected her and simply point out her mistake. She's only six; she probably doesn't even know what a true Agni Kai is." Her father said strictly, anger seeping through.

"I'm sorry! I'm so, so sorry!" Her brother apologized, tears entering his speech.

"You're the older sibling. You should have known better. Aron, by injuring her you have not only broken strict rules but you have disrespected our family. Tomorrow afternoon, you will fight an Agni Kai." Rei's eyes widened at that. Her father's words held absolute. Aron said nothing against it and silently muttered an agreement. She heard loud footsteps move on. Rei's eyes filled with tears and she let it out. The door to the room opened and Aron stepped through. Rei didn't turn to acknowledge him.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Rei said, wiping away her tears on the pillow. "It's all my fault. It's all my fault." She repeated. She felt Aron sit on the bed.

"I am so, so sorry. I promise in whatever way, I'll make it up to you. Tomorrow, I'll accept my punishment." Rei sat up and looked at him, ignoring the pain in her back. She pulled him into a hug. Aron hugged her back, his arms low around her waist to miss the bandaged burns. That night, they both fell asleep in each other's arms, crying.

 The next day, Aron stood in his Fire Nation pants with a cloth draped over his shoulders. His hair was in the traditional ponytail.

"Please, please don't do this. You can still forfeit!" Rei begged, staring at the crowd that had gathered. Their father was a very highly respected admiral, and their mother was a friend to Lady Ursa, Lord Ozai's wife, and there for many had shown up to witness this. Aron shook his head.