Chapter 5

Rei used the commotion to make her way towards the curtains, successfully slipping by. She made sure no one saw her as she slipped behind the curtain. She was met with a wooden hall, and at the end of the hall she saw the shadow of a scene she immediately hated. Airon was being pulled away by a chain around his neck.  The shadows disappeared as they moved onwards. She narrowed her eyes and quickly ran down the hall. She could hear the loud grunt Airon gave out. Not on my watch!

She silently moved towards the corner and placed her back against the wall. She peered over slightly to see how many there were. There were three Dai Li agents pulling him with the chain, him grunting and pulling back. Airon suddenly stopped and his nose tensed before his body relaxed. The Dai Li agents seemed confused at how calm he was now. Rei turned around and poised her hand, behind the corner. She made a grabbing motion, and the agents froze. They had no control left. Rei made her hand into a tight fist and all three of them fell onto their knees, clutching their stomachs. Rei suddenly released her hand and the three fell onto the floor, weeping in pain. She made a small motion to Airon and he ran over. Without exchanging words they ran down the hall. Rei went and peeked through the curtain to see the commotion gradually dying down. She felt a tug at her white dress and turned to see Airon staring at large window, one Airon might be able to fit though. Quickly opening it, she and Airon jumped out and ran away from the palace. Luckily it was only on the first floor. They ran behind a shop to see an abandoned alley way, probably where supplies were delivered during the day. As soon as they were out of sight, Rei threw herself at Airon. He stiffened at the sudden bone-crushing hug. Rei started to weep into his short fur. Airon's body calmed.

"You idiot. Don't ever leave me again." Rei mumbled. Airon shook his head and hugged her back using his neck.

"You idiot. I didn't leave you deliberately."  He answered.

"I missed you so much. You have no idea how strange the people are you left me with!" Airon laughed at her and shook his head.

"Do you really love me that much?"Airon teased.

"Yes." Rei answered. After giving Airon a last squeeze, Rei stepped away. She wiped away her tears and looked at her white sleeve, only to realize that her makeup was smudged.

"I must probably look hideous right now." Rei laughed sheepishly. Airon titled his head.

"Well..." Rei shook her head.

"Don't answer that," she wiped at her face again. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" she suddenly asked worriedly. He shook his head.

"No. Nothing like that. The King is actually rather nice. It's the Dai Li agents I don't like. Chaining me up the entire time. I was supposed to go into the banquet with the King but as soon as the guards saw some kind of boy inside they gave me over to the Dai Li to be taken away. I'm not sure why though." Airon shrugged.

"Probably Aang. Remember that bison you got stolen with? That's his." Airon hummed in though.

"So who's this Aang? One of the guys you're travelling with?" Rei nodded.

"Yeah," she suddenly turned serious. "He's the Avatar," Airon narrowed his eyes and nodded. Rei sighed.  "Do you have any idea where his bison is?" Airon hummed and tilted his head from side to side.

"I might. I overheard some Dai Li agents talk about a place called 'Lake Laogai'. Familiar?" Rei shook her head.

"No. Not in the slightest. But it gives a clue, so I'm sure it will boast Aang's confidence," Airon nodded. Rei looked upwards at the sky. "Come on. It's late." Rei led Airon towards their temporary home and waited, hidden, until no one was left in the street before entering the house. On entering, Sokka was immediately up in her face.