Chapter 23

"Hey Yumi!" It was Tia's voice made me raise my head from the book I was reading. I was on the floor of my usual isle in between huge book shelves at the library.

"Hey Tia! What's up?"

"Nothing much...how are you holding up?'' she took a seat beside me "I didn't had a chance to talk to you after....you know."

"I'm fine...I miss him though." I said.

"Yeah...same here. He was one hell of a card player." She exhaled "anyways, topic change... do you have any plans on May 18th?"

"We have our final assignment due on the 20th -"

"Err...forget about it, you've got this whole month of April, and then till 17th and of course the 19th" she explained.

I really should spend some time with them. I was indulging myself in academics only for the past few weeks "Easy for you to say. You've got Mel to do your work. You only need to ask. You guys are technically in-laws so..."

She giggled, "Ok fine, I'll make two copies this time."

Melanie came out of nowhere. "Count me in and make it three. Mrs.Tisdale and her stupid assignments keep giving me nightmares" We didn't see her coming at all. It wasn't surprising since the bookshelves were thrice as her size. She slumped on to the floor with huge books stacked up on both hands. A loud thump echoed through the library. The librarian gave the 'this- is-a-library-for-god-sake' look at Mel.

"Someone was eavesdropping." I muttered mostly to myself.

"No I wasn't...." she murmured placing a strand of hair behind her ear "Okay I heard the word 'Copies' and when Tia uses it... I know what it means." I nodded in agreement. Tia growled.

"Topic change please, we were talking about something important." Tia got us back on her track.

"Important?" Melanie asked and turned to me to get a hint what she was talking about. I shook my head since I got nothing.

"Spring dance! Hello" whispering was the hardest thing for her to do.

"You mean like a dance?" I was appalled.

"Of course, a couple dance. Where’s the fun if not?" Tia said already hyped up "You can come with us."

"Yeah...of course you can" Mel said putting her arm around me.

"Share your dates? Oh come on." I hate this, being a burden to them. Even though they say I am not, I know I am. I'm more than happy to ditch this dance and be by myself since I'm not up for it.

"Don't tell me you're gonna skip this just because you don't have a date" Tia's scowled.

"Shush Tia, we're in the library." Mel reminded Tia and turned to me "Speaking of dates, you have no idea of whom I ran into today morning."

"Um...I'm sure it wasn't me" her eyes were all lit up on me "Why are you looking at me...like that?" I asked pointing the sly smile on her face.

Mel was still excited "Because what I'm gonna tell you now, concerns you dummy."

oh oh.. this can not be good. Can it? "Me?" Tia pulled herself closer to Mel, so she could hear her whisperings clearly. Mel nodded. “What?" I said in disbelief.

"I drove to college with Liam as usual. So I had to walk pass those huge hallways right across the campus to get here."

"So?" Tia interrupted. Mel glared at her. Tia put a finger on her lips like that would help her to stop butting in.

Mel continued "Then...BAM!" she made Tia and I both off from where we were seated. The way she said that reminded me how I used to recite horror stories to Jesse when we were way young.