Chapter 07

Few weeks after I got discharged from the hospital and was fully recovered, that's when I received my acceptance letter to the North Carolina State University. After weeks of arguments upon 'why I shouldn't consider moving out' with Dad, Mom and of course with my little brother, I finally reasoned myself that the programs here in California isn't the best.

I moved to Wilmington, NC four months ago. I started my major in architecture. I moved in to an apartment in Dawning Creek, Wilmington which had been vacant for a year or so after the owners moved to Canada permanently. He was a friend of Dad's, so the rent was much lower considering the neighborhood. Commute was not convenient, since I had to take the bus every day. But I was okay with that. I liked the apartment, specially the low rental cost.

Staying away from my maniacs, mom and dad, my cuddle puddle brother included, has been hard. I missed my family. I missed them a lot. But being alone had become exactly what I needed right now. So that I don't have to pretend like I was okay all the time. At least I can be my own weepy-self in my own place.

Once in a while I enjoy myself when I got to do something new, exciting. I wasn't the one who I once was, but I am trying so hard to be. I grabbed my rugged backpack and let it slide through my shoulder.

On my way out of my room; I took a final glance at myself through the mirror. Unlike other girls I hardly got the use of a mirror. I've never spend hours in front of it doing make up. Since I've got a presentation due today, I had to look decent.

I looked at myself; No beautiful eyes, no thick straight hair, no beautiful smile, Nothing special, I am utterly ordinary. Yeah I was an average girl, who barely survived.

The scar right above my left eyebrow is still visible. Not as much as it did few months ago, but visible enough to someone in hands reach. There had been eleven stitches on it. Doctors told me that it would hurt when removing them. But I barely felt it. I was already writhing in pain. His last words were like acid in my ears. I knew that I had to submerge in it every day for the rest of my life. And I was doing it ever since, without a doubt.

They asked me whether I would like to remove it through plastic surgery, since it wasn't going to dissolve on its own. I didn't want to erase it. Cause I wanted it to be the reminder of him. I wanted it to be a part of my reflection every time I see myself through a mirror, just like he had become a huge scar in my life.

After the accident -I shouldn't be calling it an accident, since it wasn't, at all. But for me it always had been an accident. Just like I accidentally met him, accidentally fell in love and an accident took place to remind me that I'm nothing.

I preferred public transportation after the incident. It has become a nightmare to be in a front seat of a vehicle. I still couldn't adjust my mind to it. It was like phobia or something. I promised myself that I would work on it.

I was in the last seat of the bus as usual. The bus wasn't crowded. There weren't more than ten people in the bus. My front view was blocked by a man, he was tall. I couldn't see his face; he was wearing a black hoodie. It was warm enough here in North Carolina, but he had his hood on. It seemed weird.

I had a half an hour drive to the college. I leaned my head on the back of my seat and closed my eyes. This has become a routine of my day, reminiscing. I let myself go back to that day. The 6th of May.

I still remember the song I was listening to. It was 'Mirrors' by Justin Timberlake, one of my favorites. It was the time I bet on everything I've own, on the name of love. I was yearning for that amazing feeling. It was amusing how those songs sound to me now, they don't feel like the way they did before. Not anymore. Love songs were sort of a cliché now. It's amazing how things had change.