Union (I)

Two O'clock

The few invited guests had arrived and had all been seated on the lawn overlooking the Cove. The sun was out and shining warmly down on the ceremony venue, and combined with the twittering of birds, crashing of waves below, and salty-sweet air, created a magnificent scene. All final preparations and touch ups were finished. It's zero hour. Thought Sherlock as the ceremony promptly began as scheduled. He took his place beside Greg, with John next to him as best man. Sherlock smoothed out his suit and took a few deep breaths. Just stay calm.

Violet and Iona were shown to their seats, then a well hidden speaker began playing the march that he and Adelaide had selected. It wasn't overly loud or flamboyant, but still quite regal. The guests rose and turned as Tara emerged, acting as maid of honor as well as flower girl. She scattered rose petals as she made her way, followed momentarily by Charles and Adelaide. Both looked a little teary eyed but she was beaming. Sherlock smiled as he watched her approach and felt his own eyes well a little with tears as it sunk in that it was actually happening. We're nearly married. It is happening. It'll be official before the hour is up.

Adelaide kissed Charles on his cheek and they hugged before he placed her hand in Sherlock's. Tara accepted Adelaide's seashell bouquet, airbrushed blue to match the them, and then stood back. The music ceased smoothly as Sherlock and Adelaide took their positions side by side, arms linked and hands entwined. Greg smiled proudly at them and then began to speak once everyone had been seated.

"Welcome, family, friends, and loved ones. We are gathered here on this beautiful afternoon to celebrate the wedding of Adelaide and Sherlock. You have all come here from near and far to witness this commitment they now make to each other, to offer your support to this their union in matrimony, and to allow Adelaide and Sherlock to begin their life together as husband and wife surrounded by those people most dear and important to them. They thank you for your presence here, and ask for your support, encouragement and blessing for their decision to be married. Those who could not join us here today to share in this celebration, they remember and hold dear. If anyone knows of any lawful reason why these two should not be wed, speak now."

The DI cleared his throat and looked up. Sherlock and Adelaide glanced back, and both breathed tiny sighs of relief when no one spoke out. He then asked the couple for their declaratory statements, followed by their contracting statements. After that had been accomplished, Greg instructed the couple to take their seats on the pavilion's bench as he gave his prepared speech about marriage to them. It was very personal and touching, leaving few dry eyes and eliciting a few laughs here and there. Then John and Tara gave short readings.

Finally Greg asked the two to rise for their vows and ring exchange. They faced him as he proceeded, imploring them to take each other's hands and take in every moment. They faced each other and then they proceeded, "Sherlock, you may now recite your vows to Adelaide."

Sherlock nodded slightly and squeezed her hands in his, pulling up the personal vow he had written. After a breath he began, "Adelaide Bree Cavanagh, I cannot put into words how grateful I am for that first conversation that brought us together. It was what initiated our friendship and led to our romance. From the beginning of our relationship I have worked each day to become the man that deserves you, and whom you deserve. It has been the most challenging and yet most rewarding quest I have ever undertaken over the nearly two years we have known each other; learning how to love and how to embrace it. You've shown me so much love- always so patient and eager to understand, willing to listen and helping me to heal and improve myself in so many ways. We're both imperfect, but you're my perfect match," He took a pause as he choked up from emotion, "You are my Angel and always will be my shining beacon of light in the  darkness. I vow as your husband, best friend and lover, to always love, honor, cherish and protect you."

Adelaide had tears ready to spill down her cheeks as he finished and she began. She stroked his hands and began hers, "William Sherlock Scott Holmes, since the beginning I have always seen you as a brilliant man, loyal to a fault, self sacrificing, and yet so reserved about your emotions. I knew from day one that in order to get close to you, I needed to prove that you could trust me. I wanted to help you then and I've never stopped striving to be your comforter and healer. I've watched you come out of your shell and transform into the most loving and devoted man I've ever known. You've defended me several times, saved my life on at least two occasions, supported me in everything I do, and made sure I was never alone during hardship. As your wife, I promise to love you, cherish you, and always be patient and ready to listen. To forever be your ally and companion, your best friend, and your lover. To love you for you."

Sherlock couldn't stop the tears from welling up either.

"Sherlock, do you take Adelaide to be your lawful wedded wife?"

"I do."

"Adelaide, do you take Sherlock to be your lawful wedded husband?"

"I do."

Their eyes were only on each other, revelling in the moment.

I do.

Thank you for reading!! Love y'all!! 😘😘❤💕