Questions [A]

"Blast! A noose to put my neck into."

"What is going on?" I ask a bit louder as Sherlock turns to leave. I instantly worry that I shouldn't have said anything because  the expression on his face is all I need to shut up and want to hide under a rock. He's in crime solving, sociopath, determined until death mode. And he hates being interrupted or held back.

Surprisingly he snaps out of that mode and exhales slowly, "Right. You don't know."

"You haven't told her?" John asks.

"Sherlock, you promised you'd tell her!" Mary joins in.

"It's not like it's an easy discussion to have, John." Sherlock groans.

"Easy or not, you might as well tell her now."

"W-Wait. W-Wasn't Moriarty the one who hacked every screen in the UK?" I inquire.

"Yes. He is a mastermind- a consulting criminal who will stop at nothing to get what he wants."

"But I thought he was dead? Th-That he killed himself?"

"He's a genius and a psychopath, Adelaide. It wouldn't be beyond him to return from death- as is evident by everything that has happened in the past week," Sherlock glances at his watch and sighs, "Come, Adelaide."

"What?"

"Come. I will escort you back to the museum. It would be unwise to let you travel alone until we can apprehend our suspect. If this truly is the work of James Moriarty, he wouldn't hesitate to strike any of us. Including you." I gulp, taking in the sudden severity of the situation. I nod and hand Toby back to Mary, stepping over to Sherlock. The Watsons give me nearly identical expressions. Mixtures of empathy and concern, maybe? I can't quite tell.

"U-Um, it was nice seeing you guys again..." I word, sensing Sherlock's readiness to go. Mary nods and draws me in for a brief hug.

"It was great seeing you too, Adelaide," She leans in and whispers, "Take care and be safe."

"Thanks. You too."

I bid John a short farewell and then Sherlock takes my hand and pulls me out of the market. At first I say nothing, as we're walking so fast, but once I realize how sore, hungry and tired I feel, a tiny moan slips past my lips. Sherlock halts and I nearly collide with him, "Chips?"

"What?"

"You didn't eat lunch and you need a breather after running after Toby for nearly an hour. I can't have you passing out now, can I? The chip vendor is only a few blocks away. I know the owner. Let's go."

He just seems so out of it- stressed over the case and about Moriarty. I only nod and let Sherlock direct me to the food stall, worn out from today's work out. When we get there I let him order for me and then we sit down on a bench some distance away to eat in silence. I've rarely seen Sherlock tuck into such a large portion with such eagerness. Hmm...

The second we're both done he slips his arm around my waist and we flag a taxi. Sherlock bribes the cabbie and we get there in record time. I hop out, followed by Sherlock. He walks me back to my office and then, once he's assured that we're alone, closes the door and paces to my desk, "What is it, Darling?"

"Adelaide, I..," He inhales, "If this is indeed Moriarty, I am facing my arch nemesis. He is my equal and opposite. Literally,  Adelaide. And now... now you could be in serious danger as well."

"Because I'm your girlfriend?" He nods slowly and reaches for my hand.

"Yes. And I do not want him to hurt you. So promise me that if you feel that you could be in danger or see or hear anything suspicious, that you will inform me immediately?"

I look into his vivid blue eyes and nod, "Yes. I promise, Sherlock."

He exhales, "Good. Because I won't allow Moriarty to take you away and hurt you."

Thank you for reading!!