His Need

December

"What are you doing, Love?" Sherlock asked from his spot on the futon as Adelaide headed for her kitchenette.

"Since you're not letting me go outside in the cold snap, I'm going to enjoy the cold another way."

"It certainly wouldn't do to allow you to be frostbitten outside." Sherlock responded.

"Perhaps. Thus, I'm getting ice cream."

He blinked, "Ice cream? It's nearly freezing outside and you want that?"

She hummed, "I have peppermint ice cream that won't eat itself. And I think..," He heard rustling from her freezer, "Yep! I have toppings to go with it."

"Ice Cream will lower your body temperature, Adelaide."

"Darling, the flat is warm. And if that isn't good enough-"

Sherlock smirked to himself, "Of course, Love," She chuckled from the kitchen and a few minutes later she came back out with two bowls of red and green flecked pink ice cream. He looked up from the case file in his lap, "I suppose the second one is for me."

"Yes. I didn't know what toppings you'd like so I guessed," She set his down on the coffee table. He looked at it and found a generous dollop of her homemade fudge, a drizzle of cherry sauce, and crushed nuts, "Um, is that okay?"

He smiled and nodded, "Yes, that is fine. Thank you, Love."

"You're welcome, Darling." She smiled and retook her spot on the futon, pulling her legs up beside her. Sherlock set the case file down and grabbed the bowl of ice cream. He deduced that the candy specks were crushed peppermint pieces. He picked up the spoon and dug it into the frozen treat until the spoon was full, then brought it to his lips. Sure enough, it was peppermint. The chocolate and cherry toppings did nothing to disguise the signature holiday flavor, but he didn't mind and slowly pecked away at the creamy dessert.

While he still had a small appetite it was apparent that Adelaide's efforts were paying off. He had been eating more and even indulging in certain foods. His favorite dish Adelaide made was fettuccine with chicken and her homemade alfredo and garlic bread. She was an excellent chef and baker when she had the time, and while she wasn't opposed to satiating her sweet tooth or having takeout, she was bringing more healthy foods into Sherlock's diet and the changes were noticeable.

"Adelaide?"

"Mm?" She didn't look over. Her eyes were on the documentary playing on the telly. This one was about the Amazon Rainforest and was currently showing a sequence on Macaws.

"Why are you so motivated to ensure that I eat like a human being?"

She chuckled and thought a moment, "Because until I see hard physical proof that you are either an android or an extraterrestrial life form, you are a human being. Being human means that you have to ingest food and water to make energy to live because we're not autotrophs. We're heterotrophs. And you, Sherlock, need all the energy you can get when you're chasing criminals. Adrenaline won't last forever," He slowly rested the spoon back in the bowl, set them down, and turned his body towards her, "What?"

"So you're doing this to make sure I am human?"

She finally looked at him and lowered her ice cream with a small smile, "No. I do it because I want you to be healthy and happy. And so far I have been successful. Couples are supposed to care for each other and mind each other's wellbeing and health. For example, you're not letting me outside in the cold until I get a new coat because I could-"

"Lose body heat too quickly due to the wind chill and get frostbite or worse because of lowered internal temperature." He elaborated. Adelaide nodded.

"But why are you be so motivated to keep me out of the cold weather when I want to go outside? Aren't you a sociopath with no to little regard for others?" Sherlock froze, but his answer was written in his eyes and she smiled knowingly, returning her gaze to the telly and continuing to eat her ice cream.

What Adelaide had just said and implied had sent Sherlock's heart into near tachycardia, aching and warm as he made several startling realizations. His mind raced as well as he processed everything that was popping into it all of a sudden. He stared in the same frozen pose for a few minutes before he felt an intense urge.

Sherlock acted on it and leaned over, throwing his arms around Adelaide and locking her into one of the strongest embraces he had ever bestowed on her. He nested his head against her neck and left a light kiss there. Adelaide, who had been caught off guard by the sudden hug, managed to set her ice cream down before reaching up and stroking his curls. His eyes slipped closed and he whispered, "I need you. Don't leave me."

She kissed the top of his head, "I won't. I promise."

Please consider voting and leaving a comment if you're enjoying the story so far! Thank you for over 500 views and all the support! Love y'all!!

Huge Shout-Outs to mmkn2005, VelvetVanity, iamsherlocked64, SassySuki4554, charityisirrelivant, SofiaCerveraAguiaga and Jennyabrinko!!!

😘😚