John's Counsel

Three Weeks Later

"John?"

"Yes, Sherlock?"

"When and how did you know that you wanted to marry Mary?"

John, who had just taken a long sip of hot tea, almost choked on it as he tried to avoid a spit-take. He lowered his cuppa onto the side table and then looked at his best friend, "What?  Just what  did you just ask me, Sherlock?"

The detective was standing, staring into the mirror with his hands under his chin, "I asked when and how you knew that you wanted to marry Mary. Simple question."

"Perhaps..," John cleared his throat and set away his newspaper, "But coming from you, it is more than a simple question."

"How could that be?"

"Because you don't like plain and simple " Sherlock turned and looked at his best  friend, "Sherlock, why are you asking about it?"

The brunette pursed his lips and looked back at the mirror before sitting down in his chair with a sigh, "Marriage... I never used to think about it and now it's always filling the dark corners of my mind palace."

John stifled a smile, "So it's actually been on your mind a lot recently?" The answer came after a short pause.

"If you must know, yes."

"And how long, exactly?"

"I don't see what it has to do with my question, John."

"Just tell me. How long have you been thinking about marriage? Because I genuinely thought that you'd never consider it because before you said something to the effect of it being pointless."

Sherlock drummed his fingers on the armrest and inhaled, "It has been on my mind a few times since Adelaide and I confessed our love for each other. But a number of weeks ago Mycroft dropped in and said that I shouldn't allow my relationship with her to stop developing and thus dwindle."

"Mycroft  did? Seriously?"

Sherlock nodded slowly, "He seemed rather surprised when I told him that at the present, things between me and her are going well and I do not want it to change."

"Meaning you don't want to screw it up?"

"I suppose so."

"And then he said that you-"

"He told me that I shouldn't muck around and keep moving forward. By that I am absolutely sure he meant for me to consider marrying Adelaide. But I did not expect him to be the one to say that, so I am fairly certain that Mummy had a hand in it."

John massaged his temple and sat up, leaning forward a bit, "Well then, What do you think about marrying Adelaide?"

"That is why I needed your help, John. I'm not sure if I want to or not. All I do know is that I love her and that she loves me. But marriage..."

"Well, what about her? Have you talked to her about it?"

"No," He took a small breath, "But I know that that is one of her aspirations. She will not rush into it, however, and I won't either."

"Why don't you just talk to her about it?"

"Because I don't know how I would bring it up. That's I'm talking to you about it first so I don't screw it up."

The blogger puffed and sat back, "Well, to answer your original question, I'm not exactly sure how, but I knew that I wanted to marry Mary about a month before I tried to propose. Mary helped me turn my life around for the better when you were supposed to be dead. And I wanted to settle down with the person who had helped me heal and brought warmth back into my life. Of course I didn't know I would be marrying a former Assassin but at the time it seemed like a good idea. Now I know it was."

Sherlock and John both chuckled. Once they'd had their laugh the former drew a breath, "Perhaps I should discuss this Adelaide... At least to determine her own perspective."

"That's a start, mate," John blew out a breath and then refocused on the detective across from him, "But in my opinion, Sherlock, I think you'd better get a move on. Adelaide isn't going to wait around forever and this grace period between you two can only last so long."

"I am aware, John. That is something I am acutely aware of."

"Good."

Sherlock sighed, "Thank you, John."

"Anytime, mate."

Wow!! Thank you for 2k reads!! Love you all!!

Shout-Outs to::

charityisirrelivant

iamsherlocked64

mmkn2005

VelvetVanity

LUCIA_1922

Dalar_Rose

phoenixfire1127

Annagamergirl9