Spectres [A]

Early The Next Morning

Knock, Knock, Knock.

I stir from my sleep and roll over on my side as Sherlock's voice filters through the bedroom door, "A-Adelaide..? Are you awake, Love?"

I prop myself up on my elbow, "Y-Yeah, Sherlock. I'm awake, Darling," Silence ensues and I flip on my bedside lamp, locating my spectacles, "What is it, Honey?"

"C-Could I just come in for a minute..?"

Nightmare. He must have experienced one. I recognize then stand up, reaching for my dressing gown and wrapping it around me, "Yes, Sherlock. Come in."

The doorknob twists and Sherlock slowly enters, head hanging. His eyes are bloodshot and his hair is bedraggled, and he looks exhausted and distraught. I frown and cup his face, pressing a kiss to his lips. He speaks first though, "I-I can't sleep."

"A nightmare then?" He nods and I sigh sadly, "Oh, I'm sorry, sweetheart."

"No, I'm sorry for waking you, Adelaide. I know I kept you up until two hours ago and I thought I could at least get some sleep without dreaming and let you rest. B-But I just can't..."

"No need to apologise, Sherlock. I'm thankful you woke me up because I want to be able to help you in every way I can. You're not doing this alone anymore, alright?"

"Very well," I brush a stray curl back from his face and let my hand linger over his cheek. He leans into it and closes his eyes, "I tried to avoid coming in and telling you but I just can't calm down on my own, Love."

"How long have you been up, Sherlock?"

  "Half an hour..."

Grasping his hand, I exhale and lead him out of my bedroom towards the kitchen, "Well then, let's start with some tea, okay?" He just hums in response and stands behind me while I brew up a kettle of Sleepytime Tea; an aromatic blend of chamomile, spearmint, lemongrass and valerian.

While it's steeping Sherlock comes up and twists his arms around my waist, draping himself over me and resting his head in the crook of my neck, "Cuddle..?"

I twist to kiss his cheek and lean my head against his, "Of course, Sweetie."

"Thank you, Love." He whispers back and kisses my neck.

Once the tea is done we head to the futon which has been made into sofa-form again. I take the far corner and curl up, gesturing for Sherlock to join me.  He lays down and rests his head in my lap, facing the telly which I just notice is on and playing the Discovery Channel. I turn down the volume and focus on him. Stroking his curls and facial features to help him relax as he sips his tea slowly.

Once he's finished he sets the cuppa on the table and rolls to face me, "Angel?" I hum.

"Yes, Sweetie? Do you want to tell me about the nightmare?"

He nods slowly and grasps my left hand firmly, "I saw them all. Moriarty, Moran and McDermott... They were all there..."

"And what were they doing, Darling?" He tenses up and I coax, "It'll help to just talk about it, Sherlock. I don't want to see you hurting like this."

Sherlock breathes, "Th-They had me in chains. Taunting and mocking me.... Torturing me," He brushes over the engagement ring, "But... that wasn't what upset me the most."

"What was it then?" I ask gently. Sherlock grips my hand again, tightly.

"You were there."

I frown, "Me?"

"Yes. You.  Moriarty had you tied to a chair and made me watch while he tortured and defiled you... I fought the chains but I just couldn't move to stop him and you were just so scared..!"

"Sherlock, we're both here and Moriarty is not. I'm fine, I promise." I assure but he shakes his head, eyes puffy, shiny, and ready to start expelling tears.

"N-No, Adelaide. He was doing everything in his power to desiccate you, in order to destroy me. Like he always has and always will. You were terrified and kept begging for me to help but I couldn't do anything. Y-Your screams were the worst part. I never want to hear those in reality!" He whimpers, "Y-Yesterday I scared you and I hate that it was me who made you approach me like a wild beast. If I hadn't have come back then I could have shot you..."

"You didn't shoot me and I know you wouldn't harm me. I knew you'd listen to me. I approached you like that because I didn't want to scare you, not as much because you frightened me."

"Really, Love..?"

"Yes, Darling."

Sherlock turns over again and hugs my waist, "But I still scared you, Angel..."

"Sweetie, you can't keep dwelling on it. I've moved on and there are more important issues to worry about once you've recovered." He doesn't respond and I nudge him a bit.

Aw, he's asleep.  I smile and pull his blanket up to cover him, then lean down and kiss his cheek, "Rest well, Sherlock."

Sorry for the long wait!! Thank you for reading!! 😘