Packing Day [A]

Mid-July

"Oi, how goes the packing, Adelaide?" Peter asks, walking in to see my progress. He whistles, "You're making quick work of this."

I laugh and look around the living room as well, "Yeah, it helps that I don't have much stuff to begin with, given that you furnished the place before I moved in."

"Have you decided what to do with the futon yet?"

"Hmm- Oh, Yeah. The futon..." I look over at it and sigh, "No, I'm not sure about that yet. I'm just working on getting the smaller stuff sorted and put in boxes right now."

"Need any help with anything?"

I shake my head, "No I've got it. But thanks for offering, Pete."

"Alright, then. If you do then I'll be down in the bookstore."

"Okay. See you later, Pete."

He waves and then leaves to go back downstairs. I turn back around and continue refolding all of my extra bedding. I sigh and hold up a fitted sheet. Great. My favourite.  I shake it out, "Challenge accepted."

I get it to where it's somewhat folded and rolled together, enough for me to stuff it in the box. As I'm reach for the matching topsheet I hear the door open again. I recognise Sherlock's footsteps and look up with a smile as he walks in, hanging his coat and blazer in the tiny foyer. He hasn't been wearing his scarf because it's summer, though. It's almost weird seeing him without it.  He smiles, "Hullo, Love."

"Hey, Darling." He pecks me on the cheek and gazes around the flat.

"I see you're getting it all together."

"Mmhm! Nearly everything from the kitchen and living room has been boxed up."

He nods and gestures to one of the boxes, "So I presume that you're giving quite a few things to Tara?"

"Yeah, she came over earlier and I let her help pack what she'll be getting. Mostly decorations and books. And the extra bedding, which is what I'm working on right now," Sherlock reaches down to the now small pile of freshly laundered sheets and comforters, pulling out my old mint coloured topsheet, "What are you doing?"

"Helping you pack. I just came from a case and from the looks of things the Yard won't be needing me for the rest of the day. Besides, we can talk while we work."

"Alright, then."

With his help, the rest of the pile is neatly folded and packed into the box within a quarter hour. He tells me about this morning's case while we do so. It was a double homicide that had looked like a double suicide to the Yard, and had led Sherlock and John around a few Museums looking for clues before they determined the true suspect. After that they pursued her for about a half hour before nabbing him with Lestrade.

I giggle and kiss him on the cheek, "I'm glad that you went on such an interesting case, Sherlock. I love seeing you happy after solving one."

"Yes, it was rather stimulating. But now I'm here helping you and I'm all the more pleasant." We share a kiss and I get up to tape the box shut, grabbing the brown packing tape and the Exact-O Knife.

"So, Sherlock, I suppose you've had Missus Hudson help you with cleaning up your flat?" I ask as I start taping up the cardboard container.

"Yes. She, John, Mary and Molly have been of great assistance. There will be plenty of space for your things once you're ready to bring it all over. Hudders, stubborn as she is, will have also deep cleaned the entire space too."

"I thought she was the landlady, not your housekeeper."

"She's not but she does fret over keeping the place clean despite my best efforts," We both chuckle and he gets up to fix some tea. I hum as he talks to me from the kitchen, finishing laying one last stripe of tape across the box of bedding. Then I join him in the kitchen, wrapping my arms around him from behind. He covers my hands with his and strokes over my knuckles. After a minute of standing like this with me nuzzling against his shirt he hums, "Angel?"

"Yes, Hun?"

"We only have a few more weeks."

"Yes, I know. It's exciting isn't it?"

He lifts my left hand to his lips and presses them against my engagement ring. Then Sherlock turns around and leans his forehead against mine, "It is exciting, Angel. Come August Fourth, at two o'clock, we'll finally be married."

"Mmmhmm. At Pennsylvania Castle. On an island with the sea as our backdrop."

The kettle whistles and we split so that he can finish with the tea. He pours us each a cuppa then we return to the futon. I curl up next to him and he slips his arm around me, "There, Love. I hope you don't get too warm."

"I won't, don't worry, Darl." I lean closer to him and we both laugh.

Thank you for reading!! 😘❤